Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New vs Old Cam Gear Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
New gear left, old right. New is from British Pacific, Allmakes brand, unknown manufacturer.
Eric, This is the EXACT same issue I had 1 year ago today with the same exact piece. One with an AllMakes from PT Schram, another with an AllMakes from Rovahfarm. I called both and informed them of the situation. PT was aware but Trevor at RovahFarm was not. This is a known about issue. I would call British Pacific and DEMAND not only a new sprocket/wheel but also a new camshaft from them. The fact that this is still going on and AllMakes crap is still being sold really PISSES me off!!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On second thought the Cloyes product probably wont work due to it not having the proper camshaft sensor registration windows. The post i found on dweb was it being used in a 3.9, not a GEMS motor.. hrmm.. Kent lists a duplex gear set for rover v8's as kent p/n S29 and cross refs it to work on a 4.6 as well..

http://kentcams.com/product-details/...l-duplex--kit/

Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From my experience in Quality Assurance in the Defense Industries, that casting is junk. It exhibits severe porosity throughout the piece. Where those pores are is like a sponge, so the structural integrity is severely degraded.

Also the dimension being off for the key are indicative of mold defects which do not adequately control those critical dimensions.

I appreciate the information and will ensure I never buy such a part. The idea for classic buick engine parts is very good in mmy opinion. Since the same basic engine was also shared by the Cutlass of the very early vintages (63-64?) and quite possibly the early Lemans (62,63). A friend of mine had the 63 Cutlass Converable that had that engine. I had a 64 Lemans, but it was a Aluminum 326.
I would only use a forged machined part.

I agree with Mike, we need good old American Steel Parts or a high quality import, not third world or overseas junk!!!!!!

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-17-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM

I guess a pair of vernier calipers, micrometers, and the knowledge of how to use them would go along way.

With extreme porosity cracks do not have to propogate very far at all. Buzz, do you teach measurement skills at work?

One friend of mine was upset that today's graduates did not understand the term Counter-Clockwise. He was amazed.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

On a positive note, the Allmakes crank timing gear and the many other parts I've ordered, appear to be very good quality. This just shows the wide variation in quality, depending on the manufacturer. I agree they definitely should find better manufacturers for these particular parts.

How important do you guys think it is to use a new cam gear with the new crank gear and timing chain? My old one obviously appears to be better quality, but it also has a lot of miles on it.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM

With that amount of porosity, I would not put that new one in any engine.

Our failure analysis lab used to take parts and cast them in clear acrylic, saw them into a cross-section, polish the sides and place them under a microscope for internal evaluation to see if porosity like that exist inside the part.

That part negates the necissity for any prep work and you can see the porosity with the naked eye. To me, that shows a total lack of process control and in process or final item quality inspection program. As such, these non-conforming parts should have never made it to the marketplace. The installation has even damaged the mating parts. I cannot justify that, especially if it is a previously documented problem.

I was accustomed to working with an Approved Procurement List that limited where we bought any parts from, especially any that may be critical in any way.

I still use that type of thought processes in determing who/where to buy from. As such, that manufacturer and the companies in their distribution program would not meet my requirements. Thanks for the information.

Is that to strict a policy?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-17-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd call BP and give them an ear full. They know what kind of crap they are selling. Any reputable company would easily see that your cam gear is garbage and would take them off the shelves.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Pro Wrench

I forgot to mention, this part is made in the UK.

I did let the BP guy know I was extremely concerned with obviously poor quality of the cam gear.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer your question about using the new gear with the rest of the timing set, thats usually a good idea but given the circumstance I really dont know. That new gear looks like it was cast out of pot metal in someones tool shed. The way it fit is as much of a joke as its construction. I do realize your options are limited, as much as Rovers fall apart very few companies produce aftermarket engine parts which is strange because the market is certainly there. Have you thought about maybe having someone CNC you a new gear out of a more suitable material? Sounds overkill but a lot of technical colleges with that kind of equipment will do little projects like that for the cost of material just to have the learning experience.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench

Well from what I understand, different cams just move the power band around. Right?

I think Cloyes distributes Dynagear which happens to be the manufacturer of my timing chain and crank gear, but why not the cam gear! Who knows if that gear works with the CPS though?

Quick Reply: New vs Old Cam Gear Pics