Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

new to working on cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010 | 02:07 PM
|
Drifting

car is still clunking into gear. U-joints greased, new oil in t-case, is there something i'm missing?

Old 09-16-2010 | 02:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by davidstereo
car is still clunking into gear. U-joints greased, new oil in t-case, is there something i'm missing?

Some clunking is normal on these trucks. You might want to change your differential oil to while your at it. I know my clunks mostly went away with a full oil chainge, rears an transfer case.

Old 09-16-2010 | 03:50 PM
TReK

does it clunk when you're parked on a hill or flat ground?

Old 09-16-2010 | 03:55 PM
Pro Wrench

also what weight gear oil did you put in the transfer case? sometime a little thicker will help the gears from clunking, although its normal for them to clunk with a little age on them.

Old 09-17-2010 | 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32402

That is for D1's. Take the Bosch wires back. They will be dead in 6 months. Get some good 8MM wires (I run Magnacor).

Didn't really understand your post.... Plug wires and ignition wires are the same thing...

Old 09-17-2010 | 03:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32402

That is for D1's. Take the Bosch wires back. They will be dead in 6 months. Get some good 8MM wires (I run Magnacor).

Didn't really understand your post.... Plug wires and ignition wires are the same thing...
Is that proven okdisco? Not that I don't trust your advice, but I believe i've seen other posters with them, and unfortunately the bosch plat +4's were the only ones I could get 8 of in the nearby area when I was doing my spark plugs. Hoping I didn't waste my money.

Also OP, I had similar clunk issues, sounds like we had similar D1s. Mine had low mileage but needed some TLC because the last owner had let fluids run low, etc etc. Did everything you did, still have a slight clunk when the engine is hot and i shift from into reverse, I think that's relatively normal as other posters have said. Advice I was given was to change the t case oil with some heavier gear oil and just let it rock. Hopefully you won't have too many leaks either, so far it seems I'm lucky in that the only thing that is leaking is the PS because it seems to have been low for a while. Good luck man, seems we're in the same boat, hopefully some of my older threads can help you out as I'm also relatively inexperienced compared to alot of the guys up here.

Old 09-17-2010 | 04:24 PM
TReK

8mm Magnacor are one of the few things we all agree on around here

Old 09-17-2010 | 07:35 PM

I bought the ProLine from RN and I am happy with them.

Old 09-17-2010 | 07:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
8mm Magnacor are one of the few things we all agree on around here
My bad, wasn't paying attention, thought he was referring to spark plugs. Sorry op, disregard what I said.

Old 09-18-2010 | 04:20 AM
|
Drifting

Thanks everyone. I went with the heavier gear oil. what ever was posted in the thread with the directions 85 140 I think. The bosch's were bought offline. they are no good? I thought I read a post somewhere that said they would work. I know magnacores are the best but my disco is for sale and I wanted to save a little money. I have a Range rover that I hope to buy if the price is right. If they will be dead in 6 months I will buy the magnacores. I would not sell a car to someone like that. Thanks to all who replied. Thanks, Dave

Last edited by davidstereo; 09-18-2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: messed up.

Quick Reply: new to working on cars