Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No brake lights or removal from park

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake lights or removal from park

this is a long story

I changed the left steering column controls because the headlights wouldn't come on. after installing I noticed that the interior lights don't come on when you turn on the head lights but they do with the parking lights on. and after changing a light bulb a few days later the interior lights come on when you put your foot on the brake.( I thought this was a problem but didn't react as I should have). 2 weeks later I'm driving home and the interior lights came on and didn't go off . I thought it fixed itself but nope in about 4 minutes later the interior lights stopped coming on period even when I brake. I thought hay now its really fixed yet again I was wrong. I got home parked the truck. try not to laugh. when my mother got home she told me to move the truck in front of the neighbors house because they parked in front of ours. I get the truck started and it wont go out of park and the brake lights are not working either. my mother turned the parking lights on and the brake light came on too and it goes out of park. but I don't wanna be stranded somewhere with a car that will start. oxymoron's aren't fun

it is a 1996. I hear that's one of the 2 best years to own

Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Start by replacing the brake light switch, it is on the back of the brake pedal.
You can buy it locally and it is a 5min job.
That is what sends the signal to turn on your brake lights as well as the signal to let the transmission know you have your foot on the brake so you can shift out of park.
It is called a shift interlock.