Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No low speed power steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No low speed power steering

I have a 1998 D1 that has little to no power steering at idle. Well, let me correct that. When the car is cold, the power steering works beautifully at idle and at all other speeds. After 10 minutes or so of driving, the low speed power steering goes away. The slightest tap on the gas though will restore it. Basically any rpm over idle has flawless power steering at all times, cold or hot.

I'm assuming this would be indicative of a pump issue, but it would seem isolated to the control valve. Are there any options for repairing or rebuilding the part of the pump specific to providing extra pressure at idle?

Is there anything else I should consider or trouble shoot first? The problem seems so specific and isolated, I just don't want to miss a solution simpler than replacing the pump.

The Serpentine belt has 70k on it and is starting to show some minor cracking. I would think if the belt was the issue, the symptom would occur as soon as the car started and not just after the car warmed up, though.

The car has 150k+ on it, as far as I know the pump is original, although I bought the car with 85k on, so I'm not sure.

All the power steering hoses were replaced a few months ago, which is actually when this symptom began. I'm not sure why new hoses would have caused this to suddenly occur, but maybe someone else has an idea. I just replaced the box, because it had some major leaks in it, although I never let the fluid level get low in the reservoir.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Who replaced your power steering hoses and what fluid did they use?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For some reason I thought power steering only works while moving? If you are in idle doesn't that mean you aren't moving? The question is for my own learning.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Power steering works as long as the engine is running, thats how you can turn the front wheels while sitting still.
Thats why hybrids have electric power steering, because when the engine is off you cant steer.
Try this tomorrow, turn your key on but do not start your truck, try and turn your steering wheel.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Serpentine belt has 70k on it and is starting to show some minor cracking. I would think if the belt was the issue, the symptom would occur as soon as the car started and not just after the car warmed up, though.

If it is getting old then it may be stretching just enough after warm up that it slips in idle bit when cold it shrinks back up. Answer Spikes questions first but I would suggest replacing the belt if it is starting to crack regardless of wether that turns out to be the issue or not. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Drifting

I replaced the hoses. I initially used a Havoline ATF-Mercon Dexron III. When the problem almost immediately arose with the low speed steering, I believe I tried the Mobil 1 synthetic after speaking with their rep and being told it was approved for the Dexron III application in the Land Rover. After swapping the steering box this past week, I swapped all the fluid out for Pro Line ATF for Dexron III & Mercon. I wanted to go back to something that specifically listed that spec, rather than just being compatible with it to make sure. That was the only option I could find still on the shelves.

As for turning the wheels:

With the key turned to position 2, engine off, there is obviously no power steering. So, turning the wheels is extremely difficult. As I said with the engine running, but not warmed up, the wheels turn easily with the car sitting still. Once the engine is completely warmed up and still running, there is some power assistance because it is easier than with the engine off and the key disabling the steering lock. However, I'd say I'm only getting 15% or so compared to what's there when the engine is cold. There is also a definite progression to that minimal level of power assistance as the car warms.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Drifting

Yeah, I was going to go ahead and replace the serpentine belt now. I just wasn't sure if I should do that and see the effect before replacing the pump or just go for it all at once if the pump seemed like the odds on bet. The only reason I was also leaning away from the belt being the primary cause was that the symptom came on suddenly after the hose swap. It seemed too coincidental to be a problem located outside of the pump, box, reservoir and fluid loop.

I'll be doing the belt on Tuesday or Wednesday regardless.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I had the same exact problem recently and ended up putting a reman pump on. Works great now.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default co wink ee dink

Worry not over coincidences... they happen all the time. No logic to the coincidence, it just happens.

This is most likely a pump failure. Naturally check the level in the resevoir initially, then just go ahead and replace the belt anyway due to age.

The best way to sort this out though (besides taking all our advice and suggestions ) will be to run through the troubleshooting checklist in the STEERING section of RAVE. Section 57 page 1 of Fault Diagnosis (it is page 527 if viewing with ADOBE)

The pressure test which your trusty mechanic can perform for you if you don't have the equipment, will well you if it is the pump for sure or not... just weigh the costs.