Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

O2 sensors stopping my Tcase removal! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default O2 sensors stopping my Tcase removal! Help!

The plugs for the front two oxygen sensors are (apparently) inaccessible, hiding on top of the transmission. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to detach the sensors so I can finish removing the exhaust and get the Tcase out?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

So, you need to remove the Y-Pipe to get the Transfer case out? If for the Y pipe, just unscrew the sensor at the pipe.

If you dis connect the trans at the mounts(remove main support bar under trans as well) it will drop/tilt down and give you more access to the top where the plugs are. The plugs actually have a plastic tab that keeps them from just pulling off.

That is how I remember it at least.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Baja

Forgot to mention. The connectors connect at the mount point of the trans. Meaning the connector from the ECU is mounted to a small bracket on the trans which connects to connectors for the o2 sensors. You don't have to get the ECU connectors removed from brackets, you just need to disconnect the connectors from each other.

Make sense?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Three Wheeling

I don't think I'll be able to remove the sensors from the pipes without the possibility of causing an issue with the leads being twisted. And of course the Y-pipe is in the way of removing the transmission cross member to be able to get at the plugs to lower the Y-pipe...

Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Baja
Default Sensors

Originally Posted by Snowdog
I don't think I'll be able to remove the sensors from the pipes without the possibility of causing an issue with the leads being twisted. And of course the Y-pipe is in the way of removing the transmission cross member to be able to get at the plugs to lower the Y-pipe...
There isn't that many turns to be made. I have done it at least 3 times without damaging the wires.

With that said, Do at your own risk.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I'll give it a go, thanks!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I messed with the y pipe in mine, I reached in through the engine bay leaning way in over the fender and followed the leads with my hand until I found the connectors, then undid them by feel as you can't see them. It took a while to do, and tore up the back of my hand some but it was certainly better than any other alternative that I could see. The little locking tab on the connector was a bear to get undone but after several timeouts for swearing and throwing tools at the shade tree they finally relented.

You could probably get away with removing the sensors as there is plenty of wire length to soak up the twists, but two things come to my mind, anyway. First, at $120 a pop for a new O2 sensor I just wouldn't want to mess with them and take that chance, and second, the two times I have had to remove them from the y pipe they were practically welded in there. Not fun getting them out either time to say the least, and that was with the pipe out of the truck. Add to that the risk of boogering up the bung it fits into somehow, add another $500 into the mix for a new y pipe or at best a trip to the weld shop.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Three Wheeling

I spent quite a bit of time under there last night, and I can't get to the plugs wells enough to unplug them. My hands just don't fit into the space where they are located. And, so far, I have had no luck in freeing the sensors from the Y-pipe. It may come down to either cutting the leads to the sensors and soldering/heat shrinking them back together when I'm done, or I'll end up cutting the Y-pipe and welding back together after. I need this back on the road, and I don't intend to let a couple of exhaust sensors derail this repair. If I cut the leads, will it effect the seniors in any way (increased resistance, etc) that will negatively effect the way it runs? I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

To unplug the pre-cat (front) O2's try having at it from the top. It's a huge PITA, but can be done.

I don't know if you have seen this vid, but this is the idea.

WARNING++
DO NOT EAT A LARGE LUNCH BEFORE VIEWING.... YOU WILL PUKE!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Baja

What about removing the bolts at the header and let it drop a bit to get better access?

Tie it up with some wire so it doesn't completely drop?

What a pain, sorry.

Quick Reply: O2 sensors stopping my Tcase removal! Help!