Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

OBD II code P1496-EVAP system gross leak detected

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBD II code P1496-EVAP system gross leak detected

Any ideas on this one? Other than loose gas cap. Checked that and fine. Maybe need new cap?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by joefresso
Any ideas on this one? Other than loose gas cap. Checked that and fine. Maybe need new cap?
Hey Joe -
Honestly, I would be more concerned that the return line to the tank was not compromised, or the overflow line has not "blown" - or worse still, issues with the seal around the Fuel Pump Assembly, OR worse yet...your tank itself has not split. (talk about Chicken Little, Right??!?!)

I am assuming you have a Discovery I, do you know if it was included in that recall - and if the Fuel Tank was replaced?

I got a very similar code when I had not properly seated the Fuel Pump Assembly seal...but there are a couple different return/overflow lines that run around the top of the fuel tank...if you can't find it with the simple stuff (evap canister and all fuel lines intact, overflow/return lines all intact, seals and gaskets intact) and you were part of the recall and it WAS completed, then it might be time to bite the bullet and drop the tank to have a look at the components on it. And - if you do drop the tank, PLEASE do yourself a favor and replace the harness - at the VERY least re-ground the wiring harness. There are a lot of threads on here related to intermittent fuel delivery, starting, stalling, stumbling - as well as KNOWN issues with the primary ground that I would knock that 25 minute job out whilst you are inspecting for your Gross Leak! At least you will have the peace of mind that should you run into issues - it wont ne the wiring harness or ground on top of the tank.

Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Like said above, I would visually inspect EVERYTHING. The fuel return line would be xtremely obvious, you would be spilling fuel all over when the truck is running. There is a vent line from the tank to the charcoal canister under the hood, passenger side of engine bay on the inner fender.

And as said above, the gas cap, the filler hose, filler vent hose, fuel pump sealing ring,etc. could all be culprit. Any thing that seals the fuel system.

BTW, not positive, but pretty sure the recall went for '95-'97's

Last edited by kenk; 05-04-2011 at 08:33 AM.