Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1496

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default P1496

I replaced my air filter. I had a K&N but replaced it with a WIX filter. I have heard too many horror stories about the MAF. I drove it for about 2 hours in town, and I noticed it come on after a long wait at Arby's (they are sooo slow..). It has been running great, and still is. I went to fill up today, had about a half tank. I noticed my gas cap felt funny, and the top popped off. I went and got a new one, and got the code read. This is what I have gathered so far:
P- Powertrain
1- Enhanced, manufacturer specific.
4- emissions
96?? I think it is related to the evap system, but not sure. I hope it is just gas cap related, but I am scared to death my MAF is dead. But, like I said, it is running great. Anyone else had this? I can't find the specific code anywhere...

Thanks guys!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P1496

You are correct, it is most definatley an Evap system problem. When it happened to mine it was a faulty gas cap. Make sure you tighten past the three clicks and try it again. I cant remember if the p1496 is a hard code that has to be cleared by a scan tool. If you had a MAF problem you would have atransmission gear code show up.

Hope this helps... for more info about maf codes talk to discomike...

Old 05-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Camel Trophy

I am also worried about the seal around my filler neck. It has been replaced 2 times according to receipts. I have a good relationship with the dealer here, I might see if they will help me out. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I have never had to replace the seal or the cap, can't say it is a normal Rover thing.
As for the code, it will stay as a soft code and cleat itself if caught in time otherwise it goes to a hard code that will need to be cleared.
Mike

Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Camel Trophy

It is stuck now. Autozone won't clear it. They tols me to disconnect my battery for 20 minutes. Not doing that, so I guess I'll find a shop to do it..... unless someone knows which pins to ground out to clear the code.....

Old 05-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't disconnect you battery, all that will do is erase most of your ECU learned knowledge and it could take up to a full tank of gas to relearn.
Go to another store and just rent a scanner, take it home and clear the codes then return the scanner, I know many people that have done this.
Mike

Old 05-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Camel Trophy

thanks Mike. I know better than to unplug the battery. I told him that was the worst idea I had heard all day. He said poeple do it all the time. I reid to explain why it was bad, but he didn't want to listen. Autoparts store guys scare me. Especially knowing they are informing the general public. There was a lady with a Volvo there. There was nothing on her dipstick but what looked like burnt crunchy peanut butter. The guys at the store told her to add motor flush and drive it a couple of weeks. I got a local mechanic I have to tow it in(forfree)to do amotor flush and oil change. The top half of the motor actually had oil and looked good. I think the ports are really clogged. I can't believe they told her to drive it.