Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

OBD2 codes - lots of them.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update - Changed ECM temperature sensor, changed fan clutch - drove around for 2 hours including up steep hills in low range, some idleing, some highway, some traffic and:

No codes and no overheating (well almost)....

The only thing that happens is that when I start it while cold and idle the temperature eventually climbs up from 9 o-clock to half way between 9 and red ... then it seems as if the fan clicks in and the temp quickly comes right back down .... After this, no overheating isues - unsure if it will do this if I just got in and started driving down the street (i.e. warmed it up while moving and not sitting) ....

Please note that I also have replaced the thermostat and verified with boiling water that it works.... I also have managed to get my stuck transfer case unstuck today!

Now that I have got these issues fixed onto: new brakes, tune-up based on the tech section, find and fix oil leak(s), replace broken auto-dim mirror with new one I got, diagnose why sunroof isn't working, fix rear door that won't unlock, and hopefully pass emissions testing and start driving...

Well ... the only other thing .... I get is clicking noises when turning the truck BOTH ways .. I suspected one of my CV joints was bad but now that I am hearing it BOTH ways (but only when turning) ... either its both CVs (does this seem likely?) or something else (any ideas)?

Pretty pumped that I have a functional truck .... just afew more issues to resolve ...thanks for all the help....

Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I've noticed that if I let it warm up at idle the temp does go higher, than if I crank up, wait 30 seconds or so to find best oldies, and motor along at 50 or so. Perhaps a circulation thing or the quantity of water washing past the thermostat. Then stable rest of drive. My fan does not kick on, but the scaner shows the temp rise, then drop off as stat opens and cold water gets there from the radiator.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I've noticed that if I let it warm up at idle the temp does go higher, than if I crank up, wait 30 seconds or so to find best oldies, and motor along at 50 or so. Perhaps a circulation thing or the quantity of water washing past the thermostat. Then stable rest of drive. My fan does not kick on, but the scaner shows the temp rise, then drop off as stat opens and cold water gets there from the radiator.
So - you think this is normal/nothing to worry about?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is sort of first heat up of the day overshoot. You might still have some air bubble trapped inside.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I think it is sort of first heat up of the day overshoot. You might still have some air bubble trapped inside.
Thanks Savannah - I will try to make sure there are no more bubbles trapped ... What are your thoughts on the clicking while turning .... Two CV joints needed or some other cause?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Well, glad you asked. I noticed a click on mine on one side. Was so convinced it was CV that I went to the junkyard on a 100+ degree day and pulled a complete half axle and CV, like $35. Got to work on truck and noticed lug nuts were not tight..... duhh. Anyhow, mine also made the noise very slightly when in straight line as well. I switched the CV to grease from "liquid lube", no more noises after tighten lugs correctly. Certainly possible for both CVs to begin problems at about same tiome, they both get the same wear and tear, and both are lubed (or not) at same frequency. The space inside where they live is about the size of a grapefruit.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-30-2012 at 04:24 AM.