Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Odd steering wobbles and truck pulling left.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:36 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd steering wobbles and truck pulling left.

I'm having an issue with the steering. At slow (<10 mph) the truck pulls to the left, very noticeably. Between 10 and about 30 mph, the steering wheel oscillates left and right about a half an inch. I can feel the truck "wobbling" left and right as well. Above 35, these symptoms seem to disappear.

Is this the so-called "death wobble" I've read about, or does anyone else have any theories?

This all seemed to start right after I went over a massive speed mound I didn't know was there at about 30 mph.

I was hoping for an out of balance wheel, but the pulling to the left seems to indicate otherwise....

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 01-01-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Check lug nuts?
bad tire?
Bad tie rod end?
Bent rim?
Swivel pre load?

Some speed bumps can be like running straight into a curb, doubtful but entirely possible something is bent in the suspension or you got a crushed suspension bushing

Last edited by TOM R; 01-01-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
4wd Low

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.

Check lug nuts?
I'm hoping so. I just got her a month or so ago and need to hit Wally World for a 27 mm tire iron (only thing missing from the kit)

bad tire?
My second hope. I checked for any broken belts, but I don't see any. The wear is even and the tread is good. The tire pressure is spot on. Not sure if any wheel weights flew off, but as soon as I can check the lugs, I'll throw on the spare to rule it out.

Bad tie rod end?
There isn't any knocking when turning at slow speeds, so I don't think so.

Bent rim?
I'll jack it up tomorrow and check. The speed bump was one of those longer, flatter "gentler" ones, not the kind that look more like ^, so I ruled that out in my mind, but I'll check.

Swivel pre load?
I had to google this. Perhaps. I'll do some more reading on this and hopefully learn something without having to use it.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

With vehicle turned off you should have someone move the steering wheel left right while you look at the tie rod ends, they are not to turn the wheel just move it back and forth

Think 1 1/8" also works on nuts

The swivels take place of ball joints best i can figure is jack a wheel off ground see if the top or bottom of wheel moves in out, there is a procedure in the tech section

As mileage increases everything gets a little worn so wobbles can be a combination of things, check out my thread lots of pics

Check for loose bolt like steering box

Also wheel bearings

Old 01-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I like wheel bearings, for a check. The pulling part and low speed noticeable adds to that

Last edited by dusty1; 01-01-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

That or a bad alignment and a missing wheel weight

Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

That ^ would be a good/ easy one also. Makes since...out of balance usually has it's speeds that it likes to show up most.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Pulling to one side is usually something dragging on the side it pulls towards. Or bad alignment.
I'd get the pulling sorted and see if that fixes your wobble also. If not, then go through the wobble diagnosis checklist.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.

Check lug nuts?
I'm hoping so. I just got her a month or so ago and need to hit Wally World for a 27 mm tire iron (only thing missing from the kit)

bad tire?
My second hope. I checked for any broken belts, but I don't see any. The wear is even and the tread is good. The tire pressure is spot on. Not sure if any wheel weights flew off, but as soon as I can check the lugs, I'll throw on the spare to rule it out.

Bad tie rod end?
There isn't any knocking when turning at slow speeds, so I don't think so.

Bent rim?
I'll jack it up tomorrow and check. The speed bump was one of those longer, flatter "gentler" ones, not the kind that look more like ^, so I ruled that out in my mind, but I'll check.

Swivel pre load?
I had to google this. Perhaps. I'll do some more reading on this and hopefully learn something without having to use it.

Just FYI, my left tie rod is severely bent and there isn't any noise coming from it.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Three Wheeling

I have had this a couple of times and it seems the wheel bearings get loose every so often. I would check this first. Last time my wheel was fixing to fall off, lol.

Quick Reply: Odd steering wobbles and truck pulling left.