Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Off road lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Off road lights not working

my off road lights have always had some strange behavior, and now I an thinking it may be a ground issue. Left high beam worked with right low beam, and vise versa since I first got the vehicle. Now they quit all together, but the on-off switch still lights up indicating that they are on ... Also my horn quit working. Not sure if it is related or not.

I know they only come on if the headlights are on, and the headlights do work. 2 relays next to the battery, one for on-off, and I assume the other is for high-low (?) or maybe a relay for each light? not sure and haven't dug into it yet.

I am thinking maybe to add switches next to the cruise switch on the dash to control the lights, anybody know offhand where I can get some switches that will fit in place of the blanks?

I am guessing I will be making a custom wiring setup as I have not found a wiring diagram for these lights they are FET brand and do a really good job when they were working.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:09 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What have you checked so far? It's simply a process of elimination and the wiring for you lights is not a complicated system to troubleshoot once you get stuck into it.

Do you have a multi-meter?

Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I do have a multi-meter, and quite a bit of wiring experience, what I don't have is time and a decent place to work on it. The control on the dash is 2 buttons, one for on-off and a second for low-high. it is tied through the headlights so it only comes on with the headlights, but needs to be activated once the headlights are on. right now the buttons light up when they should, showing the lights should be on, and they are switching from hi to low. The actual lights do not light in hi or low. I suspect it is something with the relays, or the wiring at the lights themselves. If I get a few spare moments, and it isn't terribly cold out, I will do some more digging.

The control unit on the dash is being held together with tape, as the front fell off and the button covers fell out. I got it back together and it was working for about 6 months... just quit the other day. I don't drive he truck much so it does sit for a bit.