Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

oil drain plug size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil drain plug size?

I've tried searching and found nothing. its time for me to do an oil change, and I'm sick of the awkward huge drain plug, so i'd like to install a valve like we use on all the caterpillar equipment, problem is i cant find the size that i need to order. anyone know?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How is the drain plug awkward?
You use a boxed wrench...easy.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Mudding

not so much that but the size, so the oil comes out very fast and potentially messy. drain valve you just open and thats it, very direct and easy to control, and it makes an oil change much quicker and easier.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My tip to you is in the tech section, but here it is anyway...run the passenger side of the truck onto ramps, the drain plug will then face down and the prop shafts will both be higher off the ground and easier to lube.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Mudding

Right. I know how to service the thing, I just want to make it easier... I just want to know the drain plug size.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dansgt
Right. I know how to service the thing, I just want to make it easier... I just want to know the drain plug size.
Don't get all snippy. You complained about the oil making a mess. Raising the passenger side aims the drainplug down and eliminates the mess.
I don't know the thread size but you need a 29mm wrench for the hex head.
Also, I would say the valve is a bad idea. Any shmuck that had a beef with you could come along and ruin your engine by draining your oil without you knowing. I seem to recall Fram hada "Quick Change" kit a few years back that was a valve to install. Not sure why exactly it isn't made anymore but they probably realized it was a bad idea.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
...they probably realized it was a bad idea.
Amen. Because EASIER does not always equal better!

Just like back when I was in the oil changing business, I remember seeing those rubber "quick-release" drain plugs. They were used mainly for stripped out threads. I used to throw them away and install a real drain plug (half millimeter oversized, self-tapping). Saves the cost of having to buy a whole new oil pan.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Mudding

Wow really? Thats not "snippy", and I'm not talking about consumer garbage, anything fram sells is trash. I mention something that's put on all caterpillar engines and you jump to that? These are on pretty much every piece of off highway equipment cat makes with exception of skid steers, and none of those have problems because its well built and designed for extreme environments. I'm not talking about crap people put on their Hondas haha. Now how bout some actual help, rather then being talked down to? It's not just the mess, it's ease of things. I work 50+ hrs a week with an hour drive either way and most he time have work at the church to after, so anywhere I can save time helps.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I wasn't saying the part you were using was junk or that it wouldn't work. I personally don't think the benefit of saving literally 2 minutes is worth the risk of someone draining your oil.
When changing the brake rotors takes hours of labor I really coolant care about saving 2 minutes by not having to unscrew a drain plug.
Let us know what you come up with though.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have these on the vehicles here in the shop and they are offered in a couple of different configurations to make collection easier. On the duallys we use the one with the nipple so a hose can be attached and drained directly into a resealable container. I have thought about adding one to the D1 so when the oil is hot it can be quickly drained and easily transported to the storage container and processed to go back into one of the WO burning vehicles here. We have never had an instance of someone tampering with the drain on any of the vehicles and honestly, if they plan to climb under a vehicle for some retaliation purpose; they will most likely be prepared with suitable means to remove a plug and will be surprised to find a valve such as this. They might not even know how to operate the valve.

The issue I see with using one of this brand is that they go straight and if you add the 90 adapter it might be too close to the cat/exhaust.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/F-101-1-2-20UNF.html

Quick Reply: oil drain plug size?