Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Oil Leak at Front Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I LOVE about Landy's is that they DO require maintance...that means no slacking off...also means if you keep up with it...its one SOLID ride that will last you a lifetime...honestly...these things are tanks once you keep up on the services..plus this will bond you to the rig like no other vehicle..its a love/hate relationship...i have loved every minute of owning this thing...it has went everywhere pretty much where my buddies XJ cherokee has been...and that has 6" lift plus air lockers...not too bad....not too bad...and thats STOCK

Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, and if/when it does act up at a remote or very inconvient place as they do tend to sometimes do, you will feel much better prepared to deal with something and not just freak out in horror.

Get to know her reall well, like a new girl friend. And take your time and enjoy the journey, just realize you will need bigger tools on most items. Get yourself a good quality socket set not some plated junk from CHINA that will shatter on you. Get a long pullbar. I bought a couple of pieces of scrap black iron pipe from my local hardware store to fit over my rachets.

Look at the sizes that are on most of the stuff on the vehicle. I like a good 1/2 drive socket set due to the larger size of the ratchet handle or a really heavy duty 3/8 with a flex type head. Remember, the longer the lever arm, the easier time you will have breaking loose stubborn fasteners that have most likely corroded and seized in place. Buy PB Blaster by the gallon with a spray bottle and use it liberally in advance to aid in disassembly. It helps tremendously. Be patient and always allow extra time the first time around. Take pictures as you go to aid in reassembly if needed on more involved work. It helps most people.

Have fun doing it. And realize they are going to leak, some lots worse than others.

Just don't overheat it.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-20-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:26 PM

One quick thought, If it is just a small oil leak, can't you just live with until you can get together what you need to accomplish for one good work on the rover weekend?

Just keep a close eye on the oil level.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all - appreciate the advice / tips.

I have found out recently that these heads were redone in July of 2009.....someone put a lot of work, time, and money into this. They also did the timing chain and gear...flushed everything - and then sold it...so I am a bit curious as to why they would have....maybe just got tired of the work...

There was a box in the glove box that had all receipts for a couple of years of maintenance / work. I didn't pay it much attention (only had this thing for a week) then looked in it today. There was a CD in the bottom of the box - so I through it in my computer, and there were pictures of the heads being redone - along with the timing chain / gear....

It makes this small leak a bit more annoying, because they just didn't seal it good on reassembly, but I think I will just live with it - and keep up on the maintenance. Think I got lucky with this purchase (only paid $1500) and all that work was already done.

Thanks again....

Muskrat

Old 11-21-2010, 09:26 PM

Download the RAVE and study it. Then carefully plan your maint activities to accomplish the biggest bang for the buck. Just don't abuse it until you have been thru it good.

What about serp belt and hoses, plug wires and plugs?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Before you go through all the work of pulling the cover, make sure your oil pressure switch is good. they are cheap to replace and are very common to leal. It will even leak right through the spade connector right in the middle of the ceramic. It will then run down the side of the front cover and look like the cover....

Just make sure 100% it is not the cover. It is a job to re-seal. The PO on mine broke 2 bolts off in the block and epoxied them back on. It lasted for about a year. I was going to say to replace your timing set and oil pump gears while you are in there, but it sounds like it has been done...

Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Good to know about that oil pressure switch and how it often leaks.

Who did the work that is recorded on the CD? Review it and pay attention to what and how they did what they did.