Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front cover, Oil pan and maybe exterior head leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front cover, Oil pan and maybe exterior head leak

Hello everyone,
Seems my "auto-oiler" is oiling a little to much these days. I believe my oil pan and front cover gaskets are shot and leaking like a siv. If I remember right, if I reseal the front cover, I need to drop the oil pan as well? I might as well do the timing kit and a new oil pump while its open. As for the HG i'm not sure if its leaking or not. I don't have any overheating issues, I'm not blowing out white smoke.. However as you will see in the video, I am leaking coolant. I also seem to have a power steering box leak..
Its "The New gal" D2 were dealing with here.
Sorry about the crappy video, its from my phone...
top with gear box leak

I'm just trying to narrow down what I need to buy and replace..

Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are over 120,000 miles and have those leaks you should plan on a front cover, new timing chain, new oil pump repair kit, water pump if it hasn't been replaced in many years as well as all gasket parts and possibly a head gasket if it is in fact leaking oil.
Before doing anything, I would spend an hour at the do it your self car wash and power scrub the crap out of the engine so you can really verify the leaks, makes it a lot easier to work on also.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you are over 120,000 miles and have those leaks you should plan on a front cover, new timing chain, new oil pump repair kit, water pump if it hasn't been replaced in many years as well as all gasket parts and possibly a head gasket if it is in fact leaking oil.
Before doing anything, I would spend an hour at the do it your self car wash and power scrub the crap out of the engine so you can really verify the leaks, makes it a lot easier to work on also.
Thanks Mike. I didn't think of doing a water pump, but I might as well. Were at 180,000 miles. What type of De-greaser works the best without screwing something up(ie eating electrical wires)?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If oil pan is off, take the time to clean out the oil pickup, and replace the O ring where it mounts, and locktite the mounting bolts of the pickup. Oil pump, timing chain, new crank seal, water pump, new gaskets around front cover, WP, and oil pan. You parking area will think you bought a new truck. BTW there is an aftermarket WP that has a bronze impeller that can move more water and last longer. Also might want to do a mechanical oil PSI test before and after to verify oil pump readings.

Also here' a pix of a high miles (175K) WP on left, younger on right. They start to wobble (bearing wear) and eat aluminum, leak, etc. Scale buildup from use of non-distilled water.

X2 on the wash and inspect, it might just be the front crank seal, which throws it everywhere.

Attached Thumbnails Front cover, Oil pan and maybe exterior head leak-land_range_rover_classic_discovery_defender_oem_water_pump_g.jpg   Front cover, Oil pan and maybe exterior head leak-p1030593.jpg   Front cover, Oil pan and maybe exterior head leak-p1030596.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you have to use a degreaser, use Gunk Gel Spray but stay way from and wires or connections.
Might also want to buy your water pump from British Parts of Utah, get the one with the bronze Impeller and seriously consider the chain and oil pump cause at your miles they are shot and when they let go, you will have a huge expense compared to the extra $170 or so if done now.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Winching

After about an hr at the car wash I managed to get most of the oil/grease off. Its shiny! I'm still thinking Its leaking higher up than just the oil pan. I'm just about 90% sold that its leaking out on cylinder 8.. But perhaps when you see something is leaking above the oil pan.
I believe this is where the head gasket is: (never done a head job)
Fast forward to the 44 sec mark to see what I'm talking about:
Thanks everyone

Last edited by oilspotLR; 10-07-2012 at 09:10 PM.