Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

An oil leak, slab of chocolate cake, cry and a nap...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default An oil leak, slab of chocolate cake, cry and a nap...

Well it finally happened. Poor 'Emma' has sprung a leak and I'm having difficulty isolating the origin. I believe it to be an oil leak but am not certain as it is dripping in what appears to be four different locations! A big slice of chocolate cake has not solved my problem; my magic 8-ball is broken (apparently); I had a good cry and a nap but neither helped so here I am writing on the forum hoping that someone somewhere will take pity on me and try to lead me in the right direction.

I had my poor girl's oil changed this past March and had no issues prior to that (no, I didn't do it myself..tut tut..) . I was 'drip free' all winter long and now that spring has sprung it appears that Emma has decided to become fussy and an embarrassment to her 'owner'. So yesterday I crawled under the front end and took a looksee. It is VERY wet underneath and I know that it shouldn't be...right? That's a BAD thing and quite embarrassing. I noticed a drop of oil on the oil filter just hanging there... waiting to drip. I then looked down at the pavement and noticed that there was a stain on the ground directly underneath that little droplet. Then I looked around some more and noticed that there were THREE more stains on the ground from just yesterday afternoon while I was parked at work. SO... this leads me to believe that poor Emma has a leak somewhere in all of that 'wetness' and the oil is running down the paths of least resistance - in this case there must be four paths of least resistance as she's making quite the mess of things...

What is a girl to do?

I don't like the idea of hosing down the underbody because I think that's just inviting trouble - kind of like parking over a sprinkler head and then seeing if she'll start up WWARMD?

that's 'what would a real man do' for those that aren't into acronyms How do I isolate the issue at hand and try to make a corrective action? Inquiring minds (without any 8-***** or tricks up her sleeve) would love to know xx

Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

what's up with this forum censoring the word 8-ball? And the world thinks I'm crazy.. 8-ball, 8-ball, 8-ball, 8-ball, 8-ball.... hm.. am I inviting trouble with the mods? No, I'm asking a perfectly legitimate question.... which leads me to the question of why is the word 'censored' when you're logged out of the forum but it shows the word when you're logged in? No comprendo nada seńor....

Ok, my rant is over now

Last edited by landlover_1; 05-07-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

wwarmd. oh, i thought you were making the noise of a dead battery cranking.

i personally would clean it first.if you are afraid of water, you can get some brake cleaner and go that route. I am also an advocate for the additives that go into the oil and make it glow in fluorescent light. it has made the tracing of leaks an easy task, for me.

Last edited by dusty1; 05-07-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
wwarmd. oh, i thought you were making the noise of a dead battery cranking.

i personally would clean it first.if you are afraid of water, you can get some brake cleaner and go that route. I am also an advocate for the additives that go into the oil and make it glow in fluorescent light. it has made the tracing of leaks an easy task, for me.
I'm sorry.. I'm waiting for a real man to answer lol.. JK
Thanks for the advice - I will definitely take it and try that Dusty. Have you purchased that sexy hood ornament yet?

Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

hehehe...not yet. holding out for custom replica of one of the, very tasteful, jeju island sculptures.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Dusty is right, you should clean it up. As you are driving the leaking could be blown all over the underbody creating a mass of "wetness", but could actually be one spot.

I had a truck with a really bad leaking steering box, but after driving it looked like the leak was everywhere.

After cleaning, place some white paper towels on all of the areas you think are leaking, come back in a few hours and the "wetness" should reveal itself.

Also, you should hook an auto logic computer up to your 8-***** OBDII port to figure out what is wrong, but it's probably a fuse(which is one of the most classic lines I have read on this forum from none other than Dusty himself when a member went on a rant about all of the things wrong with his truck).

Bon Chance, Buena Suerte, and Hǎo yłn

Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Dripping off the filter bet it is the oil sender and or the pressure relief valve
Read this thread pics included I just fixed that mess

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...er-leak-66562/

Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
hehehe...not yet. holding out for custom replica of one of the, very tasteful, jeju island sculptures.
Oh dear.. you should give an innocent a large enough forewarning before you go and have her 'google' things like jeju island sculptures And I now take back what I said about you not being 'real'...my oh my.. I'm going to have to go read the latest Rover's Magazine to set my mind straight and get it back onto Rover business... Ahh.. that's a nice silver Discovery on the cover - black hood, cow catcher on the front, blah, blah, blah.....

Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by abran
Dusty is right, you should clean it up. As you are driving the leaking could be blown all over the underbody creating a mass of "wetness", but could actually be one spot.

I had a truck with a really bad leaking steering box, but after driving it looked like the leak was everywhere.

After cleaning, place some white paper towels on all of the areas you think are leaking, come back in a few hours and the "wetness" should reveal itself.

Also, you should hook an auto logic computer up to your 8-***** OBDII port to figure out what is wrong, but it's probably a fuse(which is one of the most classic lines I have read on this forum from none other than Dusty himself when a member went on a rant about all of the things wrong with his truck).

Bon Chance, Buena Suerte, and Hǎo yłn

Merci, Gracias, Takk & Danke Abran I will try that this weekend for sure. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to use my magic 8-ball again. I feel lost without it! It's hard navigating this big bad world without my fierce leader..

Old 05-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TOM R
Dripping off the filter bet it is the oil sender and or the pressure relief valve
Read this thread pics included I just fixed that mess

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...er-leak-66562/
Thanks Tom but I do hope that isn't the case. Sound as if it was a major PITA to fix Hopefully I'll know more soon.

Quick Reply: An oil leak, slab of chocolate cake, cry and a nap...