Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

An oil leak, slab of chocolate cake, cry and a nap...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

I soaked the area with brake clean to get it dry, then drove a little and checked till I saw where it was leaking

Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Things that mess up a lady's day...

... and her driveway.

It may even have messed up the way she had put on her mascara today?

- not to mention her nose and step-out jacket from all those manly crawlings under the drips of British ineptitude in designing and manufacturing and assembling perfectly round shafts that fit into perfectly round holes. There is only one single reason why oil can leak from an oil seal and that is the shaft into it is out of round or imperfectly balanced, nor are the silicone lips of the oil seal perfectly round.

All the advice proposed above is good. If I may attempt to add to the general pool of knowledge I should venture the opinion that your friendly serviceman may have overtightened the oil filter and after some aging (hardening) that rubber seal between it and the engine does not seal anymore. Normally should you take it back he may simply tighten it more. Further tightening in fact may increase the crack and volume of the leak. I would go ask him for an old seal from a discarded filter and ask him to put that in place of the present one and tighten the filter by using one hand only. (By the way, if a rubber seal seals, what do those slippery, creatures with their parted mustaches do in the sea?).

In my case the leak on wheels I bought a month ago has stopped leaking in about seven places after I replaced the oil filter. I needed a real man-strength link strap to undo the old one which indicates the extent to which the previous owner / oil change attendant had tightened it.

I am also of the opinion that all the satellite leaks emanating from under Emma are just that - oil sprayed around by the airflow under the vehicle when you speed along your merry ways in bliss, and in awe of the smooth ride and soundless, popless door locks today.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Big as a Frisco Seal?...

Originally Posted by MonteroMan
... and her driveway.

It may even have messed up the way she had put on her mascara today?

I am also of the opinion that all the satellite leaks emanating from under Emma are just that - oil sprayed around by the airflow under the vehicle when you speed along your merry ways in bliss, and in awe of the smooth ride and soundless, popless door locks today.

Hello you... My mascara AND my driveway have been messed up for days hence why I haven’t posted an update. It seems that too many Land Rover brain teasers makes for an unhappy girl. And true to the saying ‘when it rains it pours’, I had to part with my computer over the weekend in order to have a new hard drive installed due to my usb ports mysteriously not recognizing any thumb drives. Always something to mess up a lady’s mascara, not to mention her mood.

Emma has been a true teaser as of late. I was able to get up under her this past weekend and dry off the ‘mass of wetness’, take a closer look and put a few paper towels out. I have to say that I am most perplexed, however, as the leaking appears to have subsided, dare I say, completely? I don’t understand the sudden change in behavior but I’m not complaining. It does sound suspiciously like the satellite leaks that you speak of but I have yet to locate the origin of the issue. Perhaps Emma has cried all of her ‘mascara’ off as well?

All fluid levels appear to be where they should be so this particular brain teaser has me stymied. I suppose there is a silver lining to all of this activity as of late. Now that I have a new hard drive in my computer, the keyboard lights up in the dark so I’m able to write all night long

Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

The 2 places I mentioned only seem to leak when driving, at ldle I never saw them leak