Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Oil pan gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Engine flush is a product? I know some people will run ATF in there for a few minutes then Drain it out. Pretty sure about that.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah its actually a product though the name varies. I'll be using "motor flush" sold at my local autozone (unless someone has something better product in mind).

Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine detergents only cause further wear. Loosening up gummed oil will not be completly removed, however it will loosen up and cause trouble you do not want. Drain oil/add oil, wipe off where you can with a clean rag.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Same theory apply if I want to go back after using a synthetic like mobil-1? I'd imagine there have to be some in between steps to get back to reg oil.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

I had the impression that I was to use diesel oil for now on.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You don't need to mess with the engine mounts by the way, just jack up the frame to give you some space between the axle and you can wiggle it out.

Also, before you put the gasket back on clean the **** out of the oil pan with carb cleaner till its sparkling new, make sure the pick up line is clean also.

A tip on putting the pan back on, take some zip ties and put them through the corner and maybe the middle holes of the pan and gasket so that the gasket stays in place when you are positioning and putting the initial bolts back in. It is a bitch to get it to stay in place. Get the back screws in place first, the ones furthest towards the rear of the car because that's where you have the least room. Make sure to use a good layer of rtv, don't be sparse. don't want any leaks again.

Oh and def. do a system flush before you change your oil and clean out the sump.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So whats the advantage/reasoning behind changing over to diesel oil.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 PM
3rd Gear

less leaks thicker oil maybe

Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kamileon
So whats the advantage/reasoning behind changing over to diesel oil.
I'm not entirely sure what the advantage is of switching to diesel oil. Honestly I got the recommendation from Spike. He said he uses Rotella 15w-40 and suggested I do the same. Every other suggestion he's offered turned out to be right on so why not? He mentioned something a out a higher level of detergent in diesel oil that helps clean the engine or something to that effect.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
I'm not entirely sure what the advantage is of switching to diesel oil. Honestly I got the recommendation from Spike. He said he uses Rotella 15w-40 and suggested I do the same. Every other suggestion he's offered turned out to be right on so why not? He mentioned something a out a higher level of detergent in diesel oil that helps clean the engine or something to that effect.
Gotcha thanx......So with that do we use the "normal" oil filter or is there a different filter to use with the diesel oil. Gonna change my oils this weekend, wanna make sure I have everything right so I dont end up changing the oil more than once on account of me doing or using something wrong.

Quick Reply: Oil pan gasket replacement