Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

OME Springs - Which end is up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default OME Springs - Which end is up?

So, when installing OME HD springs, which end goes up?

The coils are more tightly spaced on one end. Some jeep and tacoma boards say the tighter coils go up. However, the vid in the OME install thread shows them putting them in with the tighter coils down.

I is confused.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also found this:

OME spring position? Me thinks me made a boo boo - DiscoWeb Message Boards

In which opinions range from tight on top, tight on bottom, and it doesnt matter...

Lol, help!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you do dont put them in upside down!!!!!

Just kidding it doesnt matter how you put them in, you're over thinking it!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt matter, progressive rate springs will compress at the softer end first regardless of which way you put them in

Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. It's a spring. It doesn't matter. They are a progressive spring (instead of a linear spring) hence the different coil gap. I always put mine with the wider gap at the bottom and the smaller at the top.....just cause....

Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks better with the wider gap at the bottom and keeps less stuff from getting caught up in them.

Are those the used ones? You may want to clean them up and paint that one before you put them in.

There is a "trick" to installing them where you use a bottle jack to jack the axle down to make it easier in removing the old ones. Are you aware of that? I found it online (a good detailed write-up telling step by step removal) when I did mine , but that has been a few years ago.

Also, I found it best to start a few days ahead of time with a good soaking spray of PB Blaster on all the nuts and bolts. Repeat several times. When we changed mine, I had help from a Rover Owner who had owned several Discoveries over the years. He said mine came loose easier than any he had ever done due to the PB Blaster presoaking. nosivad bor I think was his online moniker. He has done many write-ups on various sites on how to's.

If your shock towers are bad, you may want to replace them as well and they also make new Heavy Duty mounts and isolation rings. Look at Rover's North website for those. The mounting hardware on mine was so rusty I bought all new stuff from Rovers North just to avoid any frustrations with old rusty nuts.

It is pretty much a two man job as well. We did it in my driveway with jackstands and a floor jack and bottle jack. It went well.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-21-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey Danny

Im boy scoutin' you on this one, haha.

Ive seen that write-up. Definitely gonna be loaded on the laptop when I do this!

And yeah, Im gonna spruce up those springs before install. Got some time cause I got a sudden $500 cable bill (those damn expiring promotional deals ), and so I havent ordered the shocks yet.

I noticed soon after I bought this thing that the front shock ring bolts are pretty rusty, so I already got a spare set of shock rings from Roverbones too .