Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ooops

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ooops

Hello,
I think I have a problem with my valley pan gasket. I am suddenly leaking coolant from the engine down on to the cats and transmission. This all started after psi testing the coolant system..... Here are some pictures. Thoughts??
Front side of engine:
Front side of engine. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rear of engine:
Back of engine. Look between. The manifold and the pipe to the left, that's where the coolant is leaking down onto transmission. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

if thats where you think it's coming from then it's worth a try to tighten all the intake manifold bolts.....cheap fixes first !!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's a blow up, the valley pan gasket has a smaller rectangle opening at front and rear on each side for coolant flow to the head. Many head gasket projects have reported finding intake manifold bolts loose, like almost finger tight. About $35 at Rock Auto, long afternoon, and you will need some new vac line tube.

But congratulations, you found the leak, and it wasn't the head gaskets...

Attached Thumbnails Ooops-d1-valley-pan-gasket.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 valley closeup.pdf (731.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Here's a blow up, the valley pan gasket has a smaller rectangle opening at front and rear on each side for coolant flow to the head. Many head gasket projects have reported finding intake manifold bolts loose, like almost finger tight. About $35 at Rock Auto, long afternoon, and you will need some new vac line tube.

But congratulations, you found the leak, and it wasn't the head gaskets...
Thanks Buzz, What is the chance I blew my head gasket as well? I hope not.....

Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Good questions - ways to decide if it is HG or just valley pan?

1. Combustion gas bubbles in coolant - valley might "let in" air, but HGs can pass exhaust gas - so one of those $50 combustion gas in coolant testers could guide you.

2. Steam cleaning of spark plugs, (pull and inspect, you know you wanted to put in some of those multi-prong fat spark lightning bolt whizzbang special ones anyway).

3. White smoke out the tail pipe.

4. Testing at 20 psi is the rated pressure for the coolant jug cap to vent. Cylinder compression test is over 100 psi. Unlikely you blew a good condition gasket.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Winching

Good questions - ways to decide if it is HG or just valley pan?

1. Combustion gas bubbles in coolant - valley might "let in" air, but HGs can pass exhaust gas - so one of those $50 combustion gas in coolant testers could guide you.

2. Steam cleaning of spark plugs, (pull and inspect, you know you wanted to put in some of those multi-prong fat spark lightning bolt whizzbang special ones anyway).

3. White smoke out the tail pipe.

4. Testing at 20 psi is the rated pressure for the coolant jug cap to vent. Cylinder compression test is over 100 psi. Unlikely you blew a good condition gasket.
I only ran the engine for maybe 2 minutes, or long enough to drive 15 feet at idle and realize I have a problem. I have a combustion gas tester but it leaks out so much that I think It would all leak out before the engine got warm enough for the thermostat to open up. I could I guess put the tester in the expansion tank and have a couple of gallons of radiator fluid / distilled water and pour it in through the radiator cap? Then put the cap on for a couple of minutes and repeat. OH and to add light to this, my $600 radiator from BP utah is leaking from the weld on the tank...... I am calling them tomorrow afternoon.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Well, at least the radiator repair is possible (since you got a brass and copper one).

If your thermostat is a model that has the tiny bleed hole in it, the gas should pass thru that. Or take stat out. Would think your idea about refilling until it gets warm would work. I assume you hear bubbles going thru heater lines under the dash?

And at the moment, you can test with tap water, you'll be draining it soon anyway.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Winching

Well, at least the radiator repair is possible (since you got a brass and copper one).

If your thermostat is a model that has the tiny bleed hole in it, the gas should pass thru that. Or take stat out. Would think your idea about refilling until it gets warm would work. I assume you hear bubbles going thru heater lines under the dash?

And at the moment, you can test with tap water, you'll be draining it soon anyway.
I will try to get a NEW one shipped to me since its less than 60 days old. If not I will luckily be able to get it repaired. (it is brass and copper) I can't remember if it has the bleed hole, it has the 4 holes that you show in a lot of pictures, I know that for sure. I haven't heard any bubbles in the dash. I will do the test tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Bubbles under dash are very common with HG, so you may have dodged a bullet.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Winching

Bubbles under dash are very common with HG, so you may have dodged a bullet.
But it was cold and I started it up and drove 15 feet and turned it off. I think its too early to tell. I will be doing a test kit on it tomorrow. Definitely in the street, its going to make one hell of a miss. lol Unless I can come by the shade tree????

Quick Reply: Ooops