Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Opinions on 97 w/170K miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Opinions on 97 w/170K miles

I've seen a blue Disco I parked locally with a FSBO sign for the past month. It caught my eye because it had a pretty good looking bumper and headlight guard that I thought might fit my DII. Since it didn't appear as though the truck had moved the entire month, I thought maybe it was a basket case and the owner was "motivated" to sell. Looking at the truck briefly - body good shape, undercarriage looked fairly clean and rust free. Looked like brand new tires all around. Seats were leather and immaculate. Noticed the switches for the passenger's side seat were pulled from console and dangling. It's an automatic. Dash looked OK as far as I could tell. Just a cosmetic inspection, I know, but it wasn't trashed at least. Decide to call owner.

Spoke to woman. They bought car for teenage daughter - she put 11K miles on car in 1+ year, went off to college, couldn't take it with her (I know what you're thinking here - who would let their daughter go out of state with a Rover?). Got a few details, though she wasn't entirely clear on all the aspects of the vehicle:

- have extensive service records from previous owner.
- just replaced driver side window actuator. Passenger's side door won't open.
- replaced rear cargo hinges
- replaced a headlamp
- replaced alternator
- replaced T-stat and coolant reservoir. Asked if it overheats. Answer: "No".
- ABS or any other dash lights on? Answer: "Light did come on, but we had it fixed - don't know how".
- replaced front shocks and "shock plates"?
- all lights work. AC works. Asked about CDL. She didn't know what that was.
- no window or sunroof leaks. Didn't ask about headliner status.
- confirmed new tires with less than 1000 miles.
- inspection sticker within last two months.

So, if you've read this far, my questions:

1) If the front guard is stock, will it fit my 2001 DII?
2) If I decide to take a closer look, what should I look for that differs from a DII, in terms of problem areas, warning signs, etc.?
3) Are there any other parts that I could use on a DII, if the vehicle price can be negotiated?
4) Asking price is $3400. Haven't driven, looked under the hood, or looked at service records. Will provide more info for the forum's comment if I decide to pursue. That said, I'm thinking this is high. Maybe $2700 as a starting price, and go down from there depending upon issues?

Any comments or opinions appreciated. I know this isn't much info to go on. I can read codes if I take a closer look at the truck, and pull a CarFax.

DRW