Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel pump harness repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Fuel pump harness repair

Here's a brief write up on how I repaired my fuel pump harness.
I replaced my fuel pump in June 2011. A few days later it quit on me while driving. After some troubleshooting I determined the multi-plug wasn't making good contact at the fuel pump. I sourced a good used harness from RoverDude. I installed it with a tiny shim to help keep it tight and in place. It was good for 9 months, many thousands of miles, and numerous wheeling trips. A few weeks ago I started experiencing problems again. The fuel pump would cut out intermittently with no rhyme or reason. Jiggling the plug at the pump would get it running again.
I was very irritated, in a hurry to repair for a trip, and didn't want to dish out $200 for a new harness. I also wanted a more permanent fix, one that was easily field servicable too.
I decided to cut off the two plugs from the wiring harness. I grabbed a pack of very small female spade connectors from PepBoys. I crimped a connector onto each individual wire and used heat shrink to seal it to the wire insulation. It's a pretty tight fit where the multi-plug connects to the pump and I was concerned about the metal on the connectors touching accidently and shorting something out. So I cut tiny lengths of some very small diameter heat shrink and slid it over the outside of the metal part of each connector. I pushed each wire home onto the male spade on the pump and it fired right up.
I've had zero problems since, total cost was about $7 for the connectors, and I feel confident in the repair because I did it and its simple.
The old plugs:
Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzA5NzguanBn.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  112.6 KB
The fix:
Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzA5NzkuanBn.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  115.6 KB
Ta da!:
Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzA5ODAuanBn.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  103.7 KB

Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another thing that helps electrical circuits immensely is cleanliness. While you were in there, why did you not take the time to clean it up good?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Another thing that helps electrical circuits immensely is cleanliness. While you were in there, why did you not take the time to clean it up good?
It's actually not as bad as it looks. And I would have cleaned each individual spade but I didn't have time. I did this fix last Thursday night so I could go wheeling Friday.
I do plan on cleaning the contacts up though. The problem is the tight space. So I figure I'll use an old trick from when I would super-tune my baitcaster fishing reels. Get a Qtip with a wooden shaft. Insert it into a Dremel tool and apply a dab of metal polish. Then gently polish the contacts.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through all this with mine-my condolences to you. I ended up having to go gack to the connector over the rear left wheel and run new wires all the way to the tank. Discovered a really nice wire harness. It is 6/14 all in a rubber sheath-much like heavy black extension cord. It is from truck wiring and was sold by the foot at NAPA.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by HOSER
I just went through all this with mine-my condolences to you. I ended up having to go gack to the connector over the rear left wheel and run new wires all the way to the tank. Discovered a really nice wire harness. It is 6/14 all in a rubber sheath-much like heavy black extension cord. It is from truck wiring and was sold by the foot at NAPA.
What did you do for the plugs? Did you splice the multi-plugs back in or make your own?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HOSER

That sounds good. I was an Aviation Electrician in the USN 1971-1975.
I also worked both as a Manufacturing Engineer and a Reliability Engineer on both the MX and Cruise Missile Programs.

You can go a step further and more or less "fab" your own protective backshell by forming a small mold with either a good stiff tape or similar material and adding RTV to serve to keep the wires from shorting out and to keep future contamination from getting to the connections.

A little food for thought.