Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Overheating Blues

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thats what it looked like to me, he painted the valley.

RPi Engineering - V8 Engines

Careful with all that paint

Please refrain from painting the inside as well as the outside. This was a fully rebuilt engine supplied to an overseas customer, needless to say, it did not last long.

It's hard to believe anyone could paint an engine with all the bits inside it The strainer is showing the red paint blockage, this engine failed completely within 20 miles Close up of the strainer shows the red paint blockage

EDIT:The pics did not copy over, but it you click the link and scroll down you will see them.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, the article details how a Rover V8 was converted from carbs to fuel injection by a very determined owner. LRD2&ME always wanted carbs, these guys couldn't stand them and wanted fuel injection....

Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been having simlar issues, my 94 disco with the 3.9l, Ive flushed the radiator but might do it once more, new theremostate the fan clutch is firm when cold. Im going to replace the coolent bottle cap just in case. Today the temp stayed right under half way till i came to a traffic light then the temp moved half way between hot and the middle of normal.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by woodruff_sc
Ive been having simlar issues, my 94 disco with the 3.9l, Ive flushed the radiator but might do it once more, new theremostate the fan clutch is firm when cold. Im going to replace the coolent bottle cap just in case. Today the temp stayed right under half way till i came to a traffic light then the temp moved half way between hot and the middle of normal.
Make sure the fan belt is routed correctly, its in the tech section.

If thats not it then its a clogged radiator.
You should also check for debris build up between the radiator and the a/c condenser.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I'll be working on a 95 5 speed with carb conversion. I was going to buy it but passed, every pillar rotted away at sill. No Waxol anywhere to be found. Another guy bought it and is bringing over to my place to pay me to get it up and running right. Five Jeffersons is my cut, maybe a couple of days of work, new owner pays for parts. Loosing coolant after PO had hg's replaced. PO had zero mechanical knowledge so it's on me to find out what's going on.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM
4wd High

So I've flushed the radiator, new upper hose and coolant cap on order.. Still when getting into traffic temp rises to the top of the coolent sign. I did find trash in front of the radiator and cleaned it out but still temp going up.. Is this normal when the temp goes up your can stop turn off the disco and turning it back on and temp is normal? Where is the best location to put a after market temp sensor in a 94 disco?

Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO you have either low air flow at idle:

electric fans not running, or viscous clutch bad - does it freewheel when spun by hand when hot and released?

or radiator clogged - a rad shop can flush it and rod out the calcium buildup - about $75 near me. Clogged rads feel colder at the bottom, more than 10 degrees F top to bottom is sign of good clean rad. Alternatives now include a $235 aluminum replacement for D1s.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling

So I've flushed the radiator, new upper hose and coolant cap on order.. Still when getting into traffic temp rises to the top of the coolent sign. I did find trash in front of the radiator and cleaned it out but still temp going up.. Is this normal when the temp goes up your can stop turn off the disco and turning it back on and temp is normal? Where is the best location to put a after market temp sensor in a 94 disco?

If you are seeing trash in the rad, you are only seeing 1%of what is stuck in the tubes. Rodding a radiator will usually only cost about 50.00.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
4wd High

I'm going to flush it out with a cleaner safe for copper and brass, the fan clutch is fine and both electric fans turn on. Any ideas on the fact if i turn it off then on the temp shows normal?

Old 07-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm going to flush it out with a cleaner safe for copper and brass, the fan clutch is fine and both electric fans turn on. Any ideas on the fact if i turn it off then on the temp shows normal?

Buy a laser temp gun and while you are overheating, or idling measure thermostat housing.....then if you can measure the temps you see on your radiator, top to bottom.....if you see any deviation from top to bottom or side to side. Looking for cool spots that will tell you if you have tube plugged up.

As for temp showing normal......dont trust the guage for any reason. They are typical british junk with abnormal electronic filter in them that make you feel you are ok. Same way with my jag XKR temp and oil guage are programmed horridly.

when the Temp is in the red its too late.

Quick Reply: Overheating Blues