Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Painting next week.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting next week.

So I've decided to spray the disco next week as the weather should be nice (not too humid) and my buddies garage is open. I still haven't quite figured what color but was wondering if it is typical to remove the quarter panel and cargo windows to spay under the gaskets? Just wondering really what is the norm on this practice and what everyone else has done. Was thinking of just stripping it all and removing the doors and engine hood to paint the inside sills as well.

Color wise I'm leaning toward BRG with a white top.

Any thoughts?

-James

Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes all the window weather stripping and decals should come off first.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm excited to see you in the process. Please make a write-up. I'd love to paint my Disco like a safety bright-*** green, black roof...

Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I spray a car a different color I take out all the glass, you can just tape it but you'll never get it perfect and its just as easy to pull out the glass and have nice new seals to go with the new paint. Color combo sounds cool, post up some progress pics if you can, lots of us would love to see it.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Idk what brg is but I've been dying to paint mine flat black but the mrs won't let me. She said it's enough of an eye sore already. Haha. If your color allows for it I'd push for the hood blackout. They look really cool and when you finally get your sd roof rack with for Hella 4000's you'll want it. Haha. If you need a hand and I can swing it I'd be happy to help. I also have a compressor if you were gonna use air

Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

BRG = British Racing Green

Here are swatches from Amazon:

Amazon.com: British Racing Green ACRYLIC URETHANE Car Auto Paint Kt: Automotive

However, I have also seen this color described as BRG over the years as well:

EW Euro Racing Green 3:1 SS Urethane

This second color is what I seem to recall as closer to the old Matchbox and Corgi cars I had as a kid.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by turf63
Idk what brg is but I've been dying to paint mine flat black but the mrs won't let me. She said it's enough of an eye sore already. Haha. If your color allows for it I'd push for the hood blackout. They look really cool and when you finally get your sd roof rack with for Hella 4000's you'll want it. Haha. If you need a hand and I can swing it I'd be happy to help. I also have a compressor if you were gonna use air

Hey Turf am I gonna have to stock up on flat black for the next time you come out lol.

As soon as I get her red truck running good im painting it the new Camero orange with flat black stripes similar to G4 trucks. Im gonna paint all the door jams, under hood, and some other trim parts flat black. I agree just pony up the money and get new weather stripping and window seals and remove all that stuff you can itll make the job easier and a lot better looking.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Haha. We'll be up all night before ROTR with the plasma cutter and painting the truck. It'd be a long night. Haha. The truck would come back to my wife totally different. Haha.
Here's a question, if you paint a truck flat black do you still clear coat it? Wouldn't that make it shiny?
Btw James I fully support the brg color choice. But would a white roof make it look like a stupid Toyota fj? They're all two tone

Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle

You can get flat clear coat or you can just leave it flat black.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i think im going to rattle can my entire truck next spring. screw this pansy taping stuff and removing crap. all you need is $20 worth of 99 cent flat black rattle cans from wal mart, one count it, one piece of cardboard, and a bottle of vodka and your favorite mixer, i prefer sprite. pour vodka over ice with mixer. shake rattle can in right hand hold cardboard in left hand. spray until truck is covered completley. after you are out of all 20 cans, and the vodka is emptpy you are done. stare in awe at your creation until you pass out.

Quick Reply: Painting next week.