Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Painting next week.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went performance (return to strong running condition) over looks and soon I can work on looks. And I really like those Destination MT's.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesDisco97
Someone convinced me to stop worrying about looks and get to functional. Maybe after the winter ill get back to it. It's getting cold here. In the mean time I'm excited to head to ROTR!

Sounds like a smart dude. Who needs his tires mounted. So you should call him when yours come in

Old 10-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The white top is a classic Rover item. A flat black top would significantly increase the thremal gain. especially in a tropical climate. Are you outta your everloving mind or what?

Not trying to sound critical but that rattle can flat black looks GHETTO to me. To each his own. Ever watch American Chopper? The fat son (Mikie) calls himself an artist, but the majority of his art consist of splashing large amounts of various color paints on the canvas and then admiring his artwork.

As far as buying a spray gun and doing it yourself, if you want a decent paint job, you better practice a lot, but then if you do own a spray gun, you can keep trying. Of course, the pros have the advantage of a good paint booth to control the quality of the environment they paint in and the drying booth to properly cure the paint.

I guy I know locally was painting his old Series II in a zebra stripe with rattle cans, he built a temporary "spray booth with large sheets of plastic dropcloth on a two by four wooden frame. It did keep the bugs and dust down but left a lot to be desired.

In the Navy, I was on a "Crud Crew" repainting aircraft in the hangar bay of the carrier we were on using Binks airguns and shipboard compressed air with dryers. We were concerned with corrosion protection over appearance, but did like a nice appearance without runs. It ain't rocket science, but does take some knack to keep from making a huge mess.

If you want a dramatic paint job, why not do the Zebra Stripe or a variation of it.
check this one out:

Attached Thumbnails Painting next week.-zebra-striped-rover.jpg  

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-23-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And I agree, a good running Disco that looks bad is lots better than a great looking one sitting in the driveway because you ran out of money concentrating on appearance over functionality. FUNctionality is always more FUN.

After all the pig don't care how pretty the dress is, she'd rather be having fun in the MUDD.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
Sounds like a smart dude. Who needs his tires mounted. So you should call him when yours come in

The guy was so smart and so hell bent on simplicity and functionality he actually just said he'll walk from now on. He then handed over his Rover for parts. Great guy.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Huh. We must be thinking of different dudes then. Haha.