Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Passenger Short shaft birf gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Short shaft birf gone

Ive got the tell tale click click pop, signs of a birf saying good bye.. Whats the best options out there?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If oil is low in the CV swivel, consider changing to Lucas Red & Tacky. May extend use for a while. Goes in easier if you turn wheel hard to one side, so path for grease is open from top to bottom. Pre-owned, I paid $35 for the whole thing at a u-pull-da-partz salvage yard from a low miles donor vehicle - slides right out, after tearing down the wheel. They are left and right handed, I believe, and quite large. The CV cavity is almost the size of a modest grapefruit. Also an item that could be shipped by a dismantler.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-28-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:53 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

If all you need is the CV, to get access to yours you need to remove the wheel, the drive member (held on by five 17mm bolts and a circlip), the hub/rotor (held on by two large 2 1/16" nuts) and the stub axle (held on with six 17mm bolts). Then the CV and axle can be removed. You can separate the CV from the axle by holding the axle perpendicular to the ground at the splined end. Center the CV by rotating the hand holding the axle. With a rubber mallet gently hit the CV and it will drop off on the ground.

It is unlikely that you need a new axle. You probably have a worn cage due to lack of lubricant. A new or used CV can be installed on the axle in a second. There is a locating ring on the end of the axle. Grease the splines on the CV and the axle, place the axle into the CV then, with the axle perpendicular to the ground, gently tap the axle into the CV.

Reassemble and you should be good to go.

But wait, while you're in there it would be silly not to make certain the inner seal on the hub is in good shape. If there is any question, now would be a great time to replace that seal and repack the two wheel bearings.

If you are familiar with RTV and it's uses you can reassemble without the need to purchase new gaskets. If you feel more comfortable using gaskets give RovaFarm in ME a call and they can hook you up with great prices. If you want to be more adventurous, there is a member here, LRD2ME who advises that you should make your own gaskets out of a particular silicone. I'll leave that up to you.

If you have any other questions about doing the job you can always contact me directly at classicroverparts@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Paul

Old 08-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul,

I also appreciate the detailed answer you so kindly provided. I will save this thread for future use. Please, if you do not mind, could you provide the price of a used CV?

I recently purchased a 4 bolt flange set from you to complete my rear driveshaft upgrade when my rear flange and rotoflex bit the dust. Great price and fast service as well.

Thanks again.