Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

patience wearing thin 94 Disco still won"t start

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default patience wearing thin 94 Disco still won"t start

ok as some of you may have read my earlier post 1994 Disco "partially immobilised??" I am having some alarm issues, well the door actuator came in today so i installed and well it seems to be disarming the alarm but the rover still won't start and the gear selector is locked in the park position and will not budge....any suggestions to were I should start looking for problems would be greatly appreaciated I only got to drive the thing for a week before this freaky alarm thing happened and now it has been stranded in the driveway for the past two weeks. It gets spark to all 8 plugs, the starter turns, the fuel pump turns on, I'm not sure fuel is getting to the fuel rail (gonna put a new fuel filter in anyway really doubtful that's the issue but gonna try anyway), and again the transmission is LOCKED in the park position (that part really pisses me off how the hell am I supposed to get it towed to the shop if/when I give up I am not going to have it dragged on to a rollback...what a poorly thought out feature)I thought maybe the under hood fuse box got wet when I washed the engine bay but checked and no sign of moisture. The rover ran fine for the week I had it. It did stall out on a downhill stop once but started right back up and once it felt like it was gonna stall on uphill stop(that is why I got the new fuel filter) Any advice on the subject would help

1994 Disco "partially immobilised??"
I very recently purchased a 1994 Discovery (my first rover) well in the process of giving it a solid working over (cleaned all egr related tubing and filter, cleaned air flow meter and as much of the plenum i could acesss without removing it, new air filter, new oil and filter, new plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and a very thorough washing of the undercarriage and engine bay, including cleaning most electrical connetions i could unplug without breaking with QD spray and then waterproofing them with die-electric grease) well somehow i reactivated the alarm system i think because of disconnecting the battery. anyway now it won't start and judging from all my tireless research on the situation over the weekend it is only partially immobilised. The starter turns, the engine gets spark at all 8 plugs, the fuel pump turns on, the transmission is locked in parked, and upon attempting to start the hazzards flash and horn sound(well it would if i still had the fuse in) in troubleshooting the alarm system I noticed the drivers side door actuator was missing so I purchased one from the local dealer it should be here in 2 days the mechanic there was pretty certain that would solve the problem, but no gurantees. does anybody have any further advice on the situation?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you attempted entering the "EKA" via the Drivers Door? That is the only other option that I can think of that may "clear" your issue.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have to have the Disco towed, you could shift the transfer case into neutral.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Three Wheeling

not sure on how to enter the EKA on the driver's door cause there isn't anywhere to input a code... did try the lock/unlock cycle 3 times with the key and tried the procedure you previously outlined, and even tried touching the cables together like the other guy sugested(don't quite understand that idea though...but I tried it) The alarm system seems to be disarming the horn and four ways don't go off during entry or while trying to start. How do I check for fuel pressure at the rail?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Three Wheeling

transfer case selector won't budge either

Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM
TReK

try disarming the alarm from the passenger door. Maybe the drivers side is screwed up and that is why the actuator was removed.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what is reported to work:

Unlock once
lock 5 times,
unlock once,
and then lock 5 times.

You said you already attempted the other method without success :
1/ Open the Vehicle manually with the key (the alarm will be going off the whole time) and open the bonnet (it is extremely Important to leave the bonnet and the door open or you may be locked out).

2/ Disconnect the main 12 volt vehicle battery.

3/ Put key in ignition and turn to position II.

4/ Reconnect the Battery.(window unset alarms will be going off)

5/ Start the engine then push the lock and unlock buttons on the key while the engine is running.

6/ Open and close all the windows to reset them.

7/ You are done.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:11 PM
TReK

According to RAVE, if you are in lockout, then the starter will be disabled.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah i saw that in the RAVE manual too but I'm not sure that all of the info in that manual pertains 1994 model year(could be wrong though) but i don't know how to explain the transmission lockout. I poured over my hayne manual and the RAVE manual to no end but just not seeing an answer to my woes.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you check ALL your fuses under the dash?

Quick Reply: patience wearing thin 94 Disco still won"t start