Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Payments for your extra Rover anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
If only everything could be "assumed"

In reality my dear Rover friends, the "PS2" was purchased over 2 years ago, and the dvd's were purchased throughout my teen years! Decided to dig them out of storage and either sell them or use them along with other things as collateral! Besides Im pretty sure the total costy I paid for the PS2 and dvds does not come close to the total cost you guys waste on booze, tobacco, drugs and ****! Not to mention your wife and children!

Now perhaps if all my current earnings were not being sucked into a negleted rig, Id have more money to throw into the pot for 2 Discos! But life is always that easy isent it?

So don';t really know where you are headed with that but whatever floats your boat.

Yeah that PS2 and the DVD's may be worth a grand total of about twenty dollars, and times are hard these days for most people including me.

I would not really care to sell my LR because very few people would care to give me what it is worth to me and I am not about to give it away after all the effort I have put into it, even though I am probably one of the lucky few when it comes to problems with it. I have seen some real horror stories on here and other sites regarding issues Most have experienced with these older Discoveries.

Of course, if you buy one that has been neglected, "rode hard and put up wet" or that has been thru several owners you should expect problems. I would like to have two or three more of these, but would not be willing pay very much for one that is in the typical condition that these are usually in when they are for sale.

If you get a nice one or even a solid one, consider yourself lucky and enjoy it. Otherwise, you should be pretty leary of any of them from what I have seen, heard, read, and experienced personally.

And what good is having money if you can't enjoy it.

As far as **** though, it is pretty much free these days with the explosion of the internet, just don't end up being interviewed by Chris Hansen and you are ok.

If I could get my wife to stop buying cigarrettes, we could buy two Mercedes.

Booze- hard to beat a good sipping whiskey.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-31-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
So don';t really know where you are headed with that but whatever floats your boat.

Yeah that PS2 and the DVD's may be worth a grand total of about twenty dollars, and times are hard these days for most people including me.

I would not really care to sell my LR because very few people would care to give me what it is worth to me and I am not about to give it away after all the effort I have put into it, even though I am probably one of the lucky few when it comes to problems with it. I have seen some real horror stories on here and other sites regarding issues Most have experienced with these older Discoveries.

Of course, if you buy one that has been neglected, "rode hard and put up wet" or that has been thru several owners you should expect problems. I would like to have two or three more of these, but would not be willing pay very much for one that is in the typical condition that these are usually in when they are for sale.

If you get a nice one or even a solid one, consider yourself lucky and enjoy it. Otherwise, you should be pretty leary of any of them from what I have seen, heard, read, and experienced personally.

And what good is having money if you can't enjoy it.

As far as **** though, it is pretty much free these days with the explosion of the internet, just don't end up being interviewed by Chris Hansen and you are ok.

If I could get my wife to stop buying cigarrettes, we could buy two Mercedes.

Booze- hard to beat a good sipping whiskey.
OMG that's too funny.... I switched from camel lights to something called JW's (they are cigars but look and smoke just like a cigarette) Camels almost 50 bucks a carton the JW's 10 bucks a carton... with the money I saved I bought 2 of my mercedes. With the money I have saved from driving them instead of my rover I have rebuilt the rover. (The get between 27 and 33 MPG depending on which I'm driving) Maintaining them is peanuts. Arts are cheaper than most comparable chevy parts.

If you notice quite a few guys on here also have a mercedes or 3... wonder why that is? Something about the rovers and the mercedes together... odd but I see it all the time. Maybe we all just want to drive cars that there is no way in hell we could have bought when they were new or something...

Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relevence people. Understandable if you dont have the means to accept my offer, but please reply with offers or useful information only, otherwise disregard this thread. Simple as that. My offer has been updated:

I would like to do "personal financing" for a good conditioned Land Rover Discovery Series I or Series II. Havent had much luck with dealers as I do not have much money saved up yet, but I have a full time job and collaterale to put down along with a down payment of up to $500 for the right Disco. More than willing to meet in person prior to any dealings, and can provide "SOME" personal documentaion "IN PERSON"as would be in any case with dealerships: Pay stubs, drivers license, piece of mail or bill which shows my physical/mailing address etc. Contract would be ideal but not a requirement. Willing to negoitate arragments:
A.) You hold the Discovery until Ive made all payments and the vehicle is paid in full.
B.) I hold the Discovery, you hold the title and my collateral, and we sign contract with wittness.
Im even willing to pay for car insurance for the vehicle depending on how arrangements are made.
Discovery needs be presentable and not "NEGLECTED!!!" does not have to be perfect though. Do not mind if the Disco needs "SOME" work but no major stuff and no long list of needed repairs. Interior and exterior body panels matter alot to me, again has to look presentable. So long as it is in "GOOD" condition then I do not really care about the miles!
Email: our-mother-europa@hotmail.com
Cell: 603 381 1184

Old 04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You are trying to hard to get a Rover.
It took me 9 months or good hard looking to find the right truck and I had $7,000 CASH MONEY in hand to bargain with.
I test drove at least 12 including a couple of Range Rovers, I looked at used car lots, repo lots, Craig's List, e-bay, private sellers...you name it I looked there.
Finally found my one owner dealer maintained DI at a "Buy Here Pay Here" on the wrong side of the tracks used car lot.

My point is, dont buy the first truck you find, dont buy the first one with a seller who is willing to go "land contract" with you.
Just take your time, if you want to pawn your stuff fine, but do not get indebted to a stranger over a truck.

I could have bought a DII with half the miles of the truck I did buy for $4000, but it was a huge POS, it was the first one I test drove, miles were right, price was right, but I walked.
If its meant to be it will be, let the truck find you, thats what I did.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now thats positive useful advice! Yes I agree, never go for the firt rover that pops up. Had I used this advice back when i had my jeep grand cherokee, i would have had in my possesion more valuable collateral or a more relevent trade. But instead i sold it for 1600 and bought the easiest cheapest closest rover i could find! i did not even do any real rover searching! Now i have a beat up neglected disco! Sometimes lessons are best learned the hard way. I will certainly take your advice now. That white disco i asked you guys about could have been in my driveway right now, the owner was willing to take payments. But this time I waited and consulted with you guys and ultimatly avoided a fatal mistake. Ill try to be patient, my search has been relentless and my hunger for a decent disco is greater than my desire for a girl! Thank you for providing relevent useful info Spike. PS: 2003 discovery 2 with 80k. Silver exterior with black leather interior. Im aproved for finacing but the minimun downpayment is between 500 and 1000. Asking price is 9000. This is a dealer in Nashua nh. They said i could also give them my disco to count towards the downpayment. Have not test driven it yet but what do you think? Asking price is higher then i want to deal but it could be a good rig.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would stay away from the '03's.
First there is a known engine problem with the oil pump, it only affects part of the model year but that is in no way a guarantee.
Second it does NOT have the locking center differential, it can be added at great cost though.
Third $9000 for a truck that gets 15mpg tops with gas hovering around $4 per gal is way to much.
Have you read through the tech section on the top of the page?
Use the links to do your research, especially pricing.
Whats a high price here may be low there and vise versa.
There are $4-5k trucks that are in good overall condition out there all day long, you just need to know where to look.

Now I do realize that with less than perfect credit, limited income and credit history that you are at the mercy of the finance company when it comes to negotiating price, but do not overpay.
If you need to build credit go to your bank and plop down $500 and get a secured credit card.
Use it for 6 months paying off the balance each month and then go back and ask for a bigger credit limit, like $1000 with your $500 still as collateral.
After a year of on time payments you will have great credit and then you can walk into a dealership and not worry about financing or price negotiating.
Plus you will get your $500 collateral back.
You can use that secured credit card to fix up the Rover you have and make it drivable.
Drive it for the year and then when you are ready trade it in and get a nicer one, or even sell it outright and then use that money as a down payment.

I only buy a new car once every 10 years or so and I always buy used and pay cash, but I realize thats not a option for everyone.
Just take your time and always sleep on it before you buy.
If it sells before you wake, then it wasn't meant to be.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate to say it but as being a former resident of southern NH myself (Nashua, Merrimack, and Manchester) I must say the LR market is going to be pretty tough, there is not alot of availability there so you are going to be paying alot more for them. I might actually suggest Pauls car care in Manchester, they sold a few Rovers when I was back there but they may be pretty expensive as well. Rovers are all over here in Phoenix so I had a handful to look at here and the prices were reasonable, I would imagine LR's would be a bit more pricier with much smaller selection back there.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 AM
Default Same Message Different Words

Shadow,

It is unfortunate that you do not realize that we were all basically conveying the same message, just using different words dude.

Sometimes lessons are best learned the hard way. I will certainly take your advice now. That white disco i asked you guys about could have been in my driveway right now, the owner was willing to take payments. But this time I waited and consulted with you guys and ultimatly avoided a fatal mistake. Ill try to be patient, my search has been relentless and my hunger for a decent disco is greater than my desire for a girl! Thank you for providing relevent useful info Spike. PS: 2003 discovery 2 with 80k. Silver exterior with black leather interior. Im aproved for finacing but the minimun downpayment is between 500 and 1000. Asking price is 9000. This is a dealer in Nashua nh. They said i could also give them my disco to count towards the downpayment. Have not test driven it yet but what do you think? Asking price is higher then i want to deal but it could be a good rig.

Not all education comes from those Ivy Covered Palaces of Higher Tuition. You need to listen to what everyone says and not to be so harsh as to scold us for saying what we said in the way in which we said it.

I was very plain spoken about not selling my Discovery at a low price to anyone. And Not Paying AN Inflated Price For One That was not in very good shape.

As you YOURSELF said, you have no sizable down payment, no way to pay cash on the barrel head as the saying goes, your collateral as you call it is not suitable to most people selling a vehicle of any sort and you want to be financed by one of us?

Go watch the Pawn Shop shows on TV and see what they offer for a PS2 and 60 videos or whatever you may have on hand.

Also see all the Repo Shows that are on and see what they do when you get a couple of payments behind on anything.

The buy here pay here lots here sell you a car at two to three times what it is really worth, charge half down, the rest paid off in one year man.

So you are a few thousand short. Like Spike says, try to fix what you got as cheap as possible just to get it running. Save as much as you can and buy sensibly for cash if you want the best deal.

Look before you leap may be more to your understanding, except that you already took the first plunge and got what you got. Don't be mad with us. Just becasue we use a more Southern Redneck Approach to Analyzing Life. To Learn from the mistakes of others is cheaper than to learn from your own, however, when you do make blunder try to recover and then do not repeat that damn mistake. Eventually you will makesome improvement or ............. Here's Your Sign......... If you catch my drift........ If not, Oh well MAybe Somebody from Your Neck of the Woods can interpolate from Native Redneck to whatever you consider yourself.

Just Don't Flip Your Rover Over, and Drive it Like You Stole It.

NGA, I do love those older Mercedes, they are hard to Kill.............

Everyone take care.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Hope you realize we not trying to be jerks. Of course if you do not understand that then watch some Blue Collar Comedy and learn to laugh.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant believe this thread is really going up....havent we gave you insane amounts of advices already in your 3-4 other threads you have made? SERIOUSLY....i understand the love for the Rover..trust me...I love Rovers...but dude YOU CANT AFFORD one why beat it to the pulp....

Quick Reply: Payments for your extra Rover anyone?