Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A pillar or roof rack, and rear cargo door leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would take the plastic footwell covers off till you find the source. Just give your truck a nice dousing with the hose, wait a min or two, then check the uncovered areas for leaks.

good luck!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

well since the big drain holes in the top of the firewall cause water to run almost directly down to the rust holes I am hoping i have cured it but will keep an eye on it, amazing how fast the floor and carpet dries without that crap foam sponge under it

Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

driving in the rain yesterday I glanced over at the pass floormat and there is water running across it like it is dripping out of the dash, guess I need to pull the wiper arms and remove the cowl to see whats up

Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

found this but cannot read the repair pages https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...i-50139/page2/

Old 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam95disco
I wonder how much better would our trucks be if toyota made them? In the 90s toyota's trucks were built like tanks.
There is a reason why FJ80 axles are a popular alternative for these trucks...but hell they aren't Rovers. And the HD Ashcroft 4.12s and Rear axles I just got should handle 35s with ease.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I believe I found the leaks

pulled the wiper arms and the plastic panel below them and behold the giant air intake scoop and cover for wiper motor ( I was amazed did not find rust) ran water into the area and can see that the drains are quickly overwhelmed allowing the water to penetrate what is or should be a gasket sealed area and drip onto the pass floor

it also appears the poor design also allows for water to easily overflow the lip on the hvac intake and flood out the entire dash I also had water running down next to the steering column or in at the column can't tell so I guess the gasket at the wiper motor is nfg also

I will try to rtv shut these areas and hope for the best not sure what to do about the giant air intake that overflows with water

we also had loosened the hinge to body bolts on the rear door and lifted as high as possible and retightened so far cargo area is dry

Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

pulled and sealed the wiper assembly, unbolted and sealed the intake scoop and smeared rtv in the body seam in the trough area and sprayed with flex seal so we will see if it stops the leak if not I don't know what to do

found a/c drip hose removed inner nipple clogged with mud up inside the hose clogged with mud dark kind from rotten leaves etc. drips like it's supposed to now

Last edited by TOM R; 06-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

poured down rain last night floor was bone dry this morning,
I may have solved the problem keeping fingers crossed these results last
it is raining now so will look again tomorrow, if it is fixed I wish I knew which of the 4 things I did fixed it

Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

well it poured down rain heavy for like an hour or more, went out right after and there was NO WATER ON PASS FLOOR WOOOHOO, there was a little on the drivers side at the kick panel but the floor was not wet so that makes me think door seal or something in that area to let it leak down that area since it is just that spot

so guess if you want your front floors dry

1) PULL THE PLASTIC PANNEL BOTTOM OF THE WINDSHIELD

2) UNSCREW AND RESEAL WIPER ASSEMLY AND AIR INTAKE WITH RTV
INCLUDING BOLTS

3) SMEAR RTV OVER THE SEAM DOWN THE MDDLE OF THAT TROUF (SP?)

4)SPRAY EVERYTHING WITH FLEX SEAL

5) BE SURE CONDENSATION DRAIN IS CLEAR

OH yeah cargo area is still dry too all that was is loosen hinges and lift door retighten hinges door was not contacting weather seal

Last edited by TOM R; 06-27-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
well it poured down rain heavy for like an hour or more, went out right after and there was NO WATER ON PASS FLOOR WOOOHOO, there was a little on the drivers side at the kick panel but the floor was not wet so that makes me think door seal or something in that area to let it leak down that area since it is just that spot

so guess if you want your front floors dry

1) PULL THE PLASTIC PANNEL BOTTOM OF THE WINDSHIELD

2) UNSCREW AND RESEAL WIPER ASSEMLY AND AIR INTAKE WITH RTV
INCLUDING BOLTS

3) SMEAR RTV OVER THE SEAM DOWN THE MDDLE OF THAT TROUF (SP?)

4)SPRAY EVERYTHING WITH FLEX SEAL

5) BE SURE CONDENSATION DRAIN IS CLEAR

OH yeah cargo area is still dry too all that was is loosen hinges and lift door retighten hinges door was not contacting weather seal
Well add this to the weekend in which shocks and springs will be done. She takes up all my time

Quick Reply: A pillar or roof rack, and rear cargo door leak?