Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A pillar or roof rack, and rear cargo door leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Question A pillar or roof rack, and rear cargo door leak?

Hi all,

I have a Disco with no sunroofs, but I have a leak inside on the passenger front where the a-pillar is as well as the rear cargo door.

I recall reading a thread a few years ago regarding water leaking into the headliner on the passenger side where the A-Pillar is, and it appeared to be the OEM roof rack. Before I tear down the headliner and look is there somewhere else I should look?

The other leak that is bothering me is when I take my Disco in to the pressure wash I end up with water on the cargo cover. Could it be that the seals to the rear cargo door are allowing water in? I never have water in the cargo area when it rains (and boy does it rain here in Vancouver!), only when I wash it. I checked the alpine windows, and there is no water anywhere near them.

Thank you.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start by pulling the factory roof rails and reinstall with rtv where the mounting hole is. There are only so many places water can come from...especially with no sunroofs.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The windshield sealant could also be in question behind that plastic molding strip.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you, will look into both and report back

Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The water falls off the roof lip and lands between the door and seal. Water passes through the seal and drips off the mounted rear brake light. I have my own personal water fall and lagoon every time it rains.

Sadly this is the only leak I have been able to visually detect a starting point on.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have that same leak. It has to be coming from the roof rack(driverside). Then I found another on pass side under the dash.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam95disco
I have that same leak. It has to be coming from the roof rack(driverside). Then I found another on pass side under the dash.
I have the passenger side leak going on too. Plus a few more on that same side coming from the fender. Oh and two more in the same spot on the driver side fender and under the dash. Oh..... yeah, and the sun roofs too. Ooops, how could I forget the left alpine window. And lets not forget the windshield

I'm going to buy silicone in bulk and cover the entire car!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Take the trim pieces off the ends of the wiper cowl and check the lower corners of the windshield. I had dime-sized holes rusted through each corner.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I wonder if the self leveling gutter silicone would work better to sort of seek out the leak area on the gasket windows if applied between the gasket and body

Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco28
I have the passenger side leak going on too. Plus a few more on that same side coming from the fender. Oh and two more in the same spot on the driver side fender and under the dash. Oh..... yeah, and the sun roofs too. Ooops, how could I forget the left alpine window. And lets not forget the windshield

I'm going to buy silicone in bulk and cover the entire car!
I wonder how much better would our trucks be if toyota made them? In the 90s toyota's trucks were built like tanks.

Quick Reply: A pillar or roof rack, and rear cargo door leak?