Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Please Help, Replaced Rear Rotors on my Discovery 1 and now it can't go out of park

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please Help, Replaced Rear Rotors on my Discovery 1 and now it can't go out of park

I've had my discovery for about a year and a half and this is the first time I've replaced brakes on a land rover, after getting the wheels off it became apparent that you can't get the rotors off because the hub is in front of it, so after removing the hub (which I don't understand why you have to remove the axle shaft to it pull off) and replacing the rotors/calipers/pads I reassembled it and out the wheels back on and bled/refilled the brake fluid but when I tried to drive off to test my work I found that transshifter is stuck in park but the brake lights work and the fuses are good. I was thinking it might be the solenoid from what some other people had said but I'm not sure how to access it since I'm not sure how to disassemble the center console. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure on the solenoid but I doubt it's related to the brake change. The reason the axle has to come off to remove the hub is because it's a free floating axle design. It's one of the things Rover axles have going for them!

Old 02-18-2014, 11:46 PM
8th Gear

This just started after I replaced them so it seemed some what plausible but I get what you mean, it just has been difficult finding someone with a similar issue after a brake job. Thank you for explaining the axle for me.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Brake lite on dash lit?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Did you bleed the brakes with the pump the pedal method? The brake light switch could be wonky or bad altogether. Do a search, there's a simple bypass trick to see if the brake light switch is bad and it will get you out of Park.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 AM
8th Gear

nope, not after I start it and it runs for a couple seconds

Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 AM
8th Gear

Yes I bled them with the pump pedal method, the brake lights work so I don't think that it's switch related but maybe, I just want to try and figure out what's broken without having to short a circuit.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Try the bypass I describe in this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ut-park-62966/
If that works then your switch is either out of adjustment or bad. If it doesn't work then look to the Shiftlock Solenoid, aka Interlock Solenoid. Details on it and it's location here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...k-45193/page2/

Most of these issues have discussed about 1000 times. Advanced Search is your friend.

Last edited by fishEH; 02-19-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:32 PM
8th Gear

Thanks fish, yeah I'll try that out. I can hear my solenoid clicking so it might be the switch after all.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM
8th Gear

Nope the switch works but I couldn't short the circuit to get it out of park so it must be the solenoid, yeah I know that people have this issue but their issues didn't come from changing the brakes most of the time so I thought I should add a new one.

Quick Reply: Please Help, Replaced Rear Rotors on my Discovery 1 and now it can't go out of park