Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cannot shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove 250 km home today, got the mail in front of my house, and then couldn't get the truck out of park. No brake lights. I used the paperclip like you suggested. My father, the mechanic, thought I was nuts. It worked, drove it to his garage to order the brake switch light. Awesome help, thank you guys. Good luck with yours.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscoGatorSeriesI
I was able to get the brake lights on with vehicle started but it still would not shift out of park into gear. Regarding the pin/clip under the shift handle pho-wood grain cover. The half-round pin with metal clip are in tack. When I press the thumb button on the shift handle it moves freely without touching the the pin/clip. The pin/clip look like it should touch the edge of the thumb button piece and lift up?

I did go ahead and order a brake switch from rockauto.com the OEM part # is ARM 2010. While I am waiting to the part to come in I am open to any other suggestions and I will continue troubleshooting the issue. Worse case I learn more about my Disco.

From my threads and others like mine the problem points to the brake switch so I am hopeful. The difference for me seams to be that I DO HAVE brake lights ON.

Cheers.
Gator -
Correct - the action of pushing the button on the shifter in should slide inside the handle and lift UP that clip/nut assembly.

If it is NOT lifting that - it will not come out of park. I had to tighten the nut in mine as I started having issues not being able to remove my key - then couldn't shift from "Park".

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Did you try jumping the switch like I suggested? Get a short piece of wire or even a paperclip. On the drivers side of the cargo door are two plastic clips pushed onto metal spades. Jump these two with the wire. Sit in the seat and push the Rear Defroster switch on the instrument shroud. Can you shift out of park now? If so your switch is brake light switch is bad.

If not then you have other issues. When you press the brake pedal can you hear a sliding or clicking noise coming from the shifted console? If not then your interlock solenoid has gone bad. You can tear your console apart, remove the solenoid, and have it back together in 2 hrs. Of course removing it will mean you can shift whenever without depressing the brake pedal so beware.

Exactly where is that solenoid located? Got a pic?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:35 PM
6th Gear

Ugh I didn't have a chance to work on the Disco today . Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I needed to 'work' so I could afford to fix the disco.

hmmm. It is sounding more and more like the solenoid.

Regarding:
Correct - the action of pushing the button on the shifter in should slide inside the handle and lift UP that clip/nut assembly.

If it is NOT lifting that - it will not come out of park. I had to tighten the nut in mine as I started having issues not being able to remove my key - then couldn't shift from "Park".

I will need to see if I can manually lift this because it is not doing so now.

Yes does anyone have any pictures or additional insight to the solenoid? From what I have read so far I will need to remove the shifter, center console to gain access to the top section of the transfer case in order to remove the offending solenoid. Once removed I will be able to shift into gear without issue. Do you have a OEM part number for this item? If not once I find it out I will post the information.

...back to making money...

Cheers.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:45 PM

The solenoid on the transfer case prevents you from shifting the transfer case from high to low.

I do not think that is the same part that is involved in the problem you are having with the transmission shifter being locked in park. And the key not releasing. Those are two separate shifters and two separate functions if I am not mistaken.

Don't want you chasing the wrong gremlin and tearing into the wrong system. I am afraid there is some confusion hereabouts. The circuit you are dealing with involves the transmissionshifter, the brake pedal, the ignition switch and whatever else.

My key used to stick really bad and sometimes not turn very easily. The powdered graphite I found in my wife's grandfathers tools from way back in the 1950's applied to the key and the keyhole and switch mechanism cleared up most of that issue.

Fixing a Discovery is hard enough without chasing the wrong parts on another system. Very expensive also and may create additional problems if not careful.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 PM

I just sat down and read from the binder where I printed out and crosstabbed a large portion of the RAVE Electrical T/S Manual.

Section C1 describes the Ignition and Shift Interlock. There are three different interlocks. The Selector Interlock is what prevents the Transmission in the Park Position unless the Ignition Switch is in Position II AND the brake pedal is depressed.
Power is applied thru Fuse F1.

The Ignition Key Interlock requires that the Vehicle must be in Park and the Transfer case must be either in High or Low before the key can be removed from the ignition.
Power for this circuit is applied thru F12.

The Transfer Box Interlock safety feature is designed to prevent the tranfer case shifter from being shifted out of H or L unless the transmission is in the Neutral position. Power is from Fuse F13.

The Transmission Range Selector Switch Z110 is involved in all three circuits. There are a variety of other components involved in each circuit, so you really need to refer to the RAVE for a complete understanding of the specific circuitry for each function.

Hope that helps you resolve your problem.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Ok guys, here's what I have on the Interlock Solenoid. It is a solenoid that releases when the brake pedal is depressed. The solenoid has a pin that prevents the shifter from being moved. This solenoid is located on the passenger side of the gear selector box towards the bottom. An easy way to check its functionality is this: Turn key forward to ACC, wait for all dings and chimes and fuel pump to stop, turn off your radio too. Lean in and put your ear close to the gear selector. With your hand depress the brake pedal. You should be able to hear the pin on the solenoid retract, like a "sliding" sound. If you don't hear it you have found your culprit.
Some people remove the solenoid, others just grind or cut the pin off, you can probably replace it too.
Link on how to remove and clean: 1996 land rover discovery locks-up in park why juda - JustAnswer
Some pics:
Solenoid is the cylindrical object on the bottom right.
Name:  iNTERLOCKsOLENOID2.gif
Views: 8550
Size:  8.8 KB

Solenoid and pin can be seen on the plate on the left. That plate bolts to the side of the shifter box.
Name:  InterlockSolenoid1.jpg
Views: 8728
Size:  107.4 KB

This is from MY parts truck. The Interlock Solenoid Pin is just to the right of the screwdriver tip. Pic is oriented so the top of the pic is facing the front of the vehicle.
Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzA2NzMuanBn.jpg
Views: 7730
Size:  84.2 KB

Last edited by fishEH; 11-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WaltNYC (12-11-2023)
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the details.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 PM
6th Gear

fishEH - I think you have nailed the problem I am having! Thank you for the pictures that say a thousand words and most surtanly you sharing your experience and knowledge. I will be working on the Disco Sunday and I will do my best to document the process.

Cheers.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM
6th Gear

Well my problem was diffently related to the Interlock Solenoid Pin. I was not able to get the whole assembly shown in the pictures above out of the center console (I am sure I was not doing something right). So while cleaning the micro switch and manually pressing in the PIN to release the shifter a few times everything started to work properly. The Pin now releases the shift handle with out issue when I press the brake peddle.

Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge! I would not have been able to get this resolved if it was not for you.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Cannot shift out of park