Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Possible Craigslist Goldmine

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Craigslist Goldmine

1996 Land Rover Discovery

Check it out guys. Sounds like a rather simple fix, though I have not experienced this problem. Any ideas, this could be a quick fix, right ?!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That thing is clean! Probably has bad cats...

Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It's a 3,000 truck, definitely. Any more thoughts? I'm wanting to pounce on this thing

Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Do it. I agree with wheelgarage.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's an easy fix let alone a "cheap" fix - If you live in a state that allows the removal/bypass of the Cats (assuming that is truely the issue) then there is a "cheap" option but minimum of 100.00 for the bypass parts/labor. If you replace the cats then you're looking at 200.00 for parts and another 50.00+ for labor (assuming you have a muffler shop do the work).

The poster on CL states that there is/was an "overheating" problem. Which could cause Cat problems but could also cause bearings, heads, waterpump, oil pump, radiator, problems. Could even be as far reaching as over heating the transmission. At which point you're looking at a pretty significant investment to get the rig on the road.

I wouldn't pay 1000.00 for it, unless I could get a lot of other parts from it that would swap over to my current Disco. Or bare minimum get at least the cost out of it if and when I needed to part it out.

Remember, if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. Go in with your eyes open and be willing to walk away.

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 07-20-2011, 05:41 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Overheating problem???

I wouldn't say "Goldmine" but...

Are you prepared to swap out the engine if the block is toast? You have a place to park it if you're planning on parting it out?

If you answered "YES" to either of these questions, I say do it. Parting out you could make your money back and maybe then some....it is a time consuming task to part out a vehicle though.

I do find it fishy the seller just decided to dump it for $1000, without even having a mechanic look at it and assuming it could just be as simple as a "sensor"????

Old 07-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Goldmine or MONEY PIT?

I would expect the motor is toast if it had a severe overheating problem. Maybe more.

Good take close look at it being absolutely critical of the possibility of it being a cheap fix.

In it's current condition I would not agree that it is a $3000 Rover. If you are capable of doing a lot yourself, it may be a decent buy, especially if he will take a good deal less. Just don't be too eager or think you found a gold mine.

A lot of people would be happy to get 3 grand for theirs with it being in much better shape. You can spend a fortune in a hurry if it is toast. Lots of people have found that out the hard way, as several of us have witnessed new owners come and go quite often.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Overheating + no power = slipped cylinder sleeve

yeah jump right on that thing lol

Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Valid points from all of you guys. And, I know mine had a severe acceleration problem right before head gaskets....I may just lay back and watch.

Anybody have experience with that "parting out" thing?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by honda50r

Anybody have experience with that "parting out" thing?
Yes I parted out a 95 disco 1 manual tranny. It was great and I made my money back and then some. BUT it takes forever! Also you WILL end up with random parts that you can't seem to sell or if your like me and don't want to do it until your 70. I ended up scrapping what was left and made $500.00 Exactly what I bought if for. The only thing wrong with it was the transmission was shot, and a person broke the rear differential someway. (rock crawling I think)

Quick Reply: Possible Craigslist Goldmine