Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Possible Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
And the dent in that front skid, I bet that brought the front wheels up off the ground when they hit.
Probably shops at the same mall as Savannah's wife.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I KNOW THIS TRUCK. I previously have looked at the Rover before its current owner. He bought it about 6 months ago out of South Pittsburgh, Tennessee from the second owner. This truck has been wheeled HARD. I know the second owner because he is in the Tennessee Rover clubs. It's in Alabama now, right?

This truck is not something I would drive on the road, rust bucket. It was never washed after wheeling and e undercarriage is a disaster. Buy it for $2,500 and part it, it's a five speed.

If I recall correctly is doesn't have airbags OR ABS, it has Defender axles.

I can get you in contact with the owner whom built the truck to its current status from stock.

TLR, Tennessee Land Rover out of South Pittsburgh, TN. Custom fabbing on a lot of the bumpers. Google the company, it just recently has gone out of business. The owner whom was selling it when I looked at it was,the son of the owner of TLR.

Email me, alexclark315@gmail.com if you want to contact the second owner who built the truck up.

Found the original listing from our club's site:http://www.teamtrec.com/forum/commen...&page=1#Item_0

Last edited by honda50r; 03-11-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Those are stainless steel brake lines, they totally revamped the suspension, I bet it has hella suspension travel.
Here is a pic of the way it is supposed to be.

Coil over shock.
Wow. Sometimes I'm glad I live in a place where we don't get a lot of rust.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, if not that truck does anyone know of any around the Huntsville area for around $3000? I also have a 09 KLR650 for sale and a Canon 60D that I can trade with. Interested in D1, D2 and RRC... Preferably manual transmission.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll trade you my manual trans D1 for your klr and Canon. It hasn't been wheeled hard, it's just a pos

Old 03-12-2012, 04:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Found another Discovery near me... Automatic though, says nothing is wrong with it except the ABS light is on because of an ARB 3 inch suspension lift? Does that sound legit?

He wants $2500 for it.

98 LROVER DISCOVERY

Link to the listing ^^

Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The add-ons he has are pretty pricey. The story about the lift causing the ABS light I would not readily accept. Almost every DI has that light on. The ABS can be a real bear if it goes crazy you can have NO BRAKES. Lots of us take the fuse out to disable the ABS. It drives fine without it.

If it runs decent, you will be hard pressed to find better. Run it for awhile to see if it overheats, take a scanner if possible to monitor live data as the temp guage is not sufficient to show heat fluctuations and by the time the dash guage goes to hot, it is too late. Also see if it pops any codes. ODBII scanner will tell you what coes.

Advance auto will loan you one for use there.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
The add-ons he has are pretty pricey. The story about the lift causing the ABS light I would not readily accept. Almost every DI has that light on. The ABS can be a real bear if it goes crazy you can have NO BRAKES. Lots of us take the fuse out to disable the ABS. It drives fine without it.
My ABS light isn't on....but Danny is right, the lift should not cause the ABS light to come on unless they tampered with the ABS in the process.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I first got mine the little lot where I overpaid went ahead and thru in a free warranty as if anything were free. ABS was on. One day I applied brakes, a lot of chatterring but no braking!

I went to the local Bobby Rahal Land Rover (Rahal the Race Car Driver). They took the warranty, took my old ABS ECU and put in a "new" ABS ECU and covered it under that warranty and did tons of other stuff and charged me a few hundered but gave me a "free" loaner Suzuki XL7 for the week or so they had mine.

A week later same problem, light back on, chatter , no stopping. They said bring it back and they would take another look. I read up a bit, pulled the fuse under the hood. ABS light is on brakes work fine.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Wow. Sometimes I'm glad I live in a place where we don't get a lot of rust.
Not as bad as it looks, a wire brush and a rattle can of black paint and you would never know.
But there are lots of cars and trucks around here newer than mine that are totally rusted out.