Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Power steering absent at no speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Power steering absent at no speed

The “power” steering on my 98 D1 is very heavy at zero speed or very low speed like barely moving in a parking lot (feels like manual steering) but feels fine when moving faster. Am I looking at a new power steering pump here? Anything else to check besides that the fluid is topped up?

Old 10-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Think its recommended to go with a Chevy s10 pump

Old 10-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TOM R
Think its recommended to go with a Chevy s10 pump
Thanks for the tip. I've noticed that the lack of power steering seems intermittant: sometimes it works OK when first started and sometimes not. Perhaps an engine RPM thing? Any suggestions?

Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Sorry I have not dealt with it yet, just going by threads I had read, probly try the search

Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any vehicle with power steering will feel heavy when stopped. In fact, it is not recommended to move the wheels on pavement while standing still in any vehicle... To much stress on the system.

With that being said, the pump is on the weak side and the more RPMs you have going, the stronger the pump will get. Check your fluid level, its probably leaking from the output shaft or your high pressure lines. If you hear any kind of noise while you steer, you could have a pump problem.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DiscoBlanco
Any vehicle with power steering will feel heavy when stopped. In fact, it is not recommended to move the wheels on pavement while standing still in any vehicle... To much stress on the system. With that being said, the pump is on the weak side and the more RPMs you have going, the stronger the pump will get. Check your fluid level, its probably leaking from the output shaft or your high pressure lines. If you hear any kind of noise while you steer, you could have a pump problem.
No noises that I've heard even at lock, but the PS fluid was near the bottom of the reservoir so I topped it up again - it must be contributing to the under carriage lube system along with the valve covers. It is not marking its spot quite as much since I tightened the valve cover bolts to spec, but I still get that wonderful British hot oil aroma so valve cover gaskets are in its future. I'll keep an eye on the PS fluid level and look for a leak - it was turning OK this morning when barely moving, but I was on gravel.