Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Problem - help? (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:39 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem - help? (with pics)

Hi guys,

Couldn't find my other thread, but I'm having a problem with my
98 Discovery - 3.9L Petrol and LPG

The problems are:

1. The idling/revs are random and have a mind of there own. Many times revs too high, then comes down bit by bit, then flies back up, then idles fine. Does what it feels like

2. BIGGEST ISSUE. Cuts out. And it does it whenever it feels like. Many times it cuts out when at a stop.

3. LOSS OF POWER. After driving for about 30mins, or 1 hour, or 2 hours or even 15 minutes, it will start "farting" on the revs and the engine starts trying to fight and get back to normal revs. Many times it drops to 0 and cuts out and sometimes it fights and gets back up.

4. CHANGING FUEL RESTARTS SOMETIMES. If it cuts out whilst on petrol.. it won't restart for a while, but if I quickly change over to LPG, it kicks back up. Same other way around!

5. FUEL CONSUMPTION. It guzzled 3/4 of the tank like it was never there!

It does this on BOTH PETROL and LPG.

I have attached pictures of my engine, with some questions for my own knowledge.

ALSO..

The previous owner (I bought this not long ago) replaced the distributor cap, leads, spark plugs.. but I've noticed that even when I push the lead down onto the spark plug I can still see the white of the plug. The leads are to full stretch but is this normal?

Attached Thumbnails Problem - help? (with pics)-pic1land.jpg   Problem - help? (with pics)-pic2land.jpg   Problem - help? (with pics)-pic3land.jpg   Problem - help? (with pics)-pic4land.jpg   Problem - help? (with pics)-pic5land.jpg  

Last edited by richardfeynman; 10-25-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No idea what the thing by the PS pump is, the round black canister on the pass fender is the charcoal canister for the evaporative emmission system, you got the older style enjoy it!

as for the rest no friggin clue.. kinda wish I could do lpg or cng on my truck but w/ fuel injection its not as easy, or not possible (not sure which)