Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Prop Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Prop Shaft

Well, while doing my tranny I decided to rebuild the prop shafts...

Looking at the front prop shaft, the rubber seal on the Diff side of the shaft is split in parts, looked at the grease inside it seems to be pretty clean considering.

Question is : Is there any way to repair / replace this seal without having to replace the shaft??

Thanks guys, this has been an interesting few weeks workin on the truck, tranny is almost ready to go back in but waitin on some parts so figured i'd work on some other things

Old 07-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you talking about the rubber seal that protects the splines. If so, you can get it from rovahfarm.
RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories look for Gaiter - Propshaft Ref: TVE100000

Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Rock Crawling

That's it thanks!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's why you want to rebuild or replace that shaft, if it snaps at speed, the flailing shaft beats the living daylights out of the tranny.

Attached Thumbnails Prop Shaft-xznw5.jpg   Prop Shaft-tranny%2520hole_02.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prob isn't a real big deal. Both my HD shafts have exposed splines with no rubber boot

Old 07-13-2013, 01:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearw
Well, while doing my tranny I decided to rebuild the prop shafts...

Looking at the front prop shaft, the rubber seal on the Diff side of the shaft is split in parts, looked at the grease inside it seems to be pretty clean considering.

Question is : Is there any way to repair / replace this seal without having to replace the shaft??

Thanks guys, this has been an interesting few weeks workin on the truck, tranny is almost ready to go back in but waitin on some parts so figured i'd work on some other things
Hi, I notice you're in NE Illinois. If you want a hand with anything I'd be happy to help.
Make sure you mark both ends of the DS with a small punch or marker before separating the pieces to install the rubber seal. This was you can be sure its put back together in the proper orientation.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Here's why you want to rebuild or replace that shaft, if it snaps at speed, the flailing shaft beats the living daylights out of the tranny.
Let's not start a false perception of the Disco. Highly uncommon issue with the Disco. Very common with the Series II's double cardan without zerks and close proximity to exhaust down pipe cooking factory grease out. You and DII's.....(shaking head). They're related by name only, two entirely different vehicles with separately engineered purposes. Few if any parts cross over between the platforms. The problem of the front shaft beating the trans and tc wide open is linked to the DII only!!!!! Noobs.....

Both pics you've posted are a Discovery Series II double cardan broken and fixed. Not what any member in this section would see if under their Disco.

Last edited by ihscouts; 07-13-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Lol didnt intend to start a war haha, yeah im rebuilding the shafts anyway (decided its safer)

But I agree, the pics Savannah posted are def not whats under my truck.

As far as the boot goes, the boot end sits by the xfer case, and seems like it would be more prone to sucking up dirt/debris if left exposed .... With that said, properly greasing it should help to keep it out of the splines I imagine.

I'm gonna order the gaiter from rovah after I make sure the application is right, it looks like the donut one they have pictured but the application is marked as disco2 only

Old 07-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

No war, just know what I'm talking about. There are folks who find these threads through internet searches or are new to owning a Land Rover. If they're not aware of the facts they'll get the wrong ideas which can lead them to making mistakes.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
No war, just know what I'm talking about. There are folks who find these threads through internet searches or are new to owning a Land Rover. If they're not aware of the facts they'll get the wrong ideas which can lead them to making mistakes.
Lol yeah that was a exaggerating a bit... but yeah I was under the impression of them failing as well which is what led me to pick up the moogs do rebuild mine. Not that i think it will really hurt anything to do, since the maintenance on this rig seems to have been neglected in other areas.

Quick Reply: Prop Shaft