Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Pulling to the right on a 'quick stop'

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011 | 03:37 PM
|
Drifting
Default Pulling to the right on a 'quick stop'

New to board, awesome BTW. Gotta love a group of folks hell bent on keeping the Rover's on the road... Couple of questions / comments and help needed. Thanks in advance...

As title states, when I brake 'quick or hard' my 95 Disco pulls to the right, significantly. Just bought it a week ago and starting the process of 'wrenching'. Have yet to bleed the brakes, etc. etc. but this action makes me think bad caliper??? Can anyone offer any thoughts??

Also, I need a dash, preferably used, anyone have any 'used part' guru's in the Rover arena? I'm in TN but work in Huntsville, Al. I have found a Rover salvage yard in South Pittsburgh, TN. Anyone on here from down this way that could offer direction...

I am sure I will be using this forum for some time to come. Just can't beat the Disco...

Old 09-29-2011 | 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

We have a number of dismantlers that frequent this forum, and can sell you one, even send photos.

First thing to do is bleed the whole brake system, all four corners, will need two big bottles of fluid. I figured out a slightly sticking caliper by using an infrared thermometer to measure each disk, and on any one axle they should be about same temp after driving. My sticky side was 40 degrees hotter. Calipers are usually too corroded to replace seals. Don't have discs shaved, too much truck, too small disks, shaved ones will warp even faster.

Download the "RAVE", the factory tech manual (shop, electrical, body/interior, owners), at link below.

In the Disco 1 section, the first post is a list of good tech write ups and things to to for high miles service.

A. Keep eyeball on temp gauge, should not go above 9:00 or it is getting too hot.

B. Change oil early and often, like 5000 mile intervals, 15W40 Shell Rotella is a good basic oil to clean out gunk.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-29-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2011 | 06:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Having bought it just a week ago, did any receipts accompany the purchase? Or, does one caliper looks different - cleaner, different color via paint, etc.? There's a chance that if one caliper was replaced, then it's doing a better job than the older one... thus the pulling to one side. Or, it could be your suspicion of a bad caliper - one's doing its job, one isn't and causing the pull.

Old 09-29-2011 | 09:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Welcome fellow Tennesseer! Frequent the Tennessee Rover Owner's Club. Tennessee Rover Enthusiasts Community! We're based out of Cookeville!

Tennessee Rover Enthusiast Community | Main Page

Old 09-30-2011 | 08:12 AM
Rock Crawling

I had a similar issue with my Disco. One of the front wheel cylinders was slightly leaking and the truck pulled to the opposite side. The amount of fluid lost was very small, but I could see a wet spot on the caliper. I was able to get away with a rebuild kit, but I guess it depends on how bad off the caliper is.

Old 09-30-2011 | 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

re: Welcome fellow Tennesseer! Frequent the Tennessee Rover Owner's Club. Tennessee Rover Enthusiasts Community! We're based out of Cookeville!

yep, them thar boyz have a long email
-
universityoftennesseehomeofthevolunteersalumniasso ciationincorporated.org

Old 09-30-2011 | 08:37 AM
Administrator

If your tires have equal air pressure then you have a bad caliper. You can either rebuild it, buy a rebuilt or a new one, then do a full 2 quart DOT 4 brake flush.
Might also check the major service list on a sticky at the top of this section, you should consider doing it all.

Old 10-02-2011 | 10:18 AM
|
Drifting
Default Trec

Originally Posted by honda50r
Welcome fellow Tennesseer! Frequent the Tennessee Rover Owner's Club. Tennessee Rover Enthusiasts Community! We're based out of Cookeville!

Tennessee Rover Enthusiast Community | Main Page
Will do Honda... I'm out of Crossville...don't hold it against me....

Old 10-02-2011 | 10:22 AM
|
Drifting

Thanks for the tips gentlemen... I will follow up with results...