Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

pwr steering leak, moon roofs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pwr steering leak, moon roofs.

99 disco 1 gas, 70k miles. apparently common problems. moonroofs wont open. you used to be able to beat them and you could see/hear the motor attempting to engage, and sometimes they would open. now, nothing. I picked up a ecu, motor and set of switches at the junk yard. but i remember reading the tracks were the problem, any comments, appriciated.
power steering fluid every where. would that be the pump, steering box hoses or reservoir?
just looking for the most common problems before I attempt to clean, diagnose and fix it. thanks.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Mudding

on a D1, power steering will def leak from the output seal on the box, and usually the high pressure hose from res to box will need replaced and low pressure return line to res tightened with a new hose clamp. On my RRC, which is the same setup, the power steering low pressure line actually rubbed against the braided grounding strap attached to the engine block and had a slight slice in it. get under the truck and do a simple wipe of the gunk around the PS, you will be able to see where its coming from after a few turns of the wheel chock to chock in the parked position. replacement hoses can be had from rockauto.com for a VERY cheap price, the output shaft seal in the box will require a rebuild with a gasket that is under $5. just depends on your mechanical ability. with the amount of leaking youre having i would guess one or more of your hoses are shot as well. once I replaced my hoses with two bottles of lucas ps stop leak I had MAYBE a drip a night. You can totally live with that until you get the energy or knowledge or patience to tackle removing and resealing the box. most people just live with a very small drip from the box. best of luck keep us posted!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 AM
8th Gear

Thank you much. That's just the info I need to get started.
On the moon roofs I did a little process of elimination and replaced the ECU and the rear window motor, they work fine now. (spent more time unsuccessfully trying to fix the damn cup holder than 35 minutes it took on the moon roofs.)

Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Mudding

haha yea awesome to hear, as long as u have access to cheap used or new parts and know where to look to find them, you will more than likely enjoy fixing things on your truck. There are very few DIY things that are terribly difficult to fix on the D1. I always find it rewarding to tinker with things and fix them on my own. My next project is replacing the shift lock in my center console. The old on locked up so the gear shift just travels freely aside from the slight click to know youre in gear. If someone were to bump it, it would move freely into another gear. I actually got my linkage at the junk yard as well for $5 bucks. they wanted a few hundred from the parts sources.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 AM
8th Gear

yeah, Ive had it about a year and my schedule hasnt let me start tinkering until now. But besides the leak and other minor issues, it runs drives and handles like music, my only complaints are the seats, or the low headliner above the windshield, or im just taller than the brits, i have to duck to see the stop lights at intersections. Even funnier, i just noticed my shifter does the same thing yours does. Oh well another one for the to-do list.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Mudding

Ha from here I've learned the official term for that is the DISCO LEAN. LOL. I think anyone over 5'9 has to do it. I've learned just not to get as close to the light LOL. Oh the things we do for our rovers. But hey u couldn't pay me to drive an appliance. My truck has never left me stranded so I have no complaints. Keep me posted on your progress. Spike555 is the go to guy here on the forums for anything D1 or RRC. I've spoken to him many times for advice and tips before I tackle projects. If u message him for his number he's happy to chat when he is free. Best of luck!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 AM
8th Gear

lol. thanks

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM
8th Gear

luckily im in the car business and work with a few junk yards out here so if i can help with any parts let me know. have to find time to pull them myself, but theyre often cheap or free, no shortage of disco's there. As to the "disco lean", ive been contemplating finding some comfortable off road bucket seats that i can set a little lower. And the rear view mirror that blocks oncoming traffic from the right, I think its glued to the glass, but I may just remove it and mount a back up camera monitor in its place or mounted below the center roof console.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Mudding

Hey buddy just wanted to give ya a heads up just swapped my shift lock with a good one from the salvage yard. Wasn't too bad of a job considering the 100 degree heat yesterday. Took bout 45 mins to do cause I forgot a screw and had to take console off again and start over. Works like new!