Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Question on Flooding while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Question on Flooding while driving

I am a first time owner as of 3 weeks ago of an awesome 95 discovery. sometimes not all times it acts like it is getting way to much fuel and chokes out right after i shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. I thought it might be the plugs or wires, so i replaced them as well as the fuel filter. Funny thing is that it does not do it all the time. thanks for any help

Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, I would imagine that checking for vac leaks, cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve (don't move the pintle, just blast off gunk with carb cleaner - it is a 180 - 200 position stepper motor; and clean bore it came out of), and some "made for MAF" spray on the stone cold MAF (don't ever spray on one that has been even powered up, they heat up the sensor to 350 degrees and cold spray can damage them) - all these are things that could help.

My daughter and Disco will be living on campus starting next month. Go Eagles!

BTW - don't trust your heat gauge, it is very optomistic. Above mid scale is overheating.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you checked for fault codes?
It is that time of year when old fuel pumps start showing their age, I would check the fuel pressure both at idle and 2000 RPM's but also right after you rev it up then let it come back to an idle.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Bad coolant temp sensor.
When it goes bad it will send a false temp reading to the ECU, and if it sends a minus temp reading, like a -60*F, the ECU will supply enough fuel to make a -60*F engine run, which is twice as much fuel as a warmed up engine needs.
I had this problem a year or so ago, replaced the coolant temp sensor and all was well once again.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

would bad coolant temp sensor also make a high idle speed from the extra fuel?

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello to our new McDonough Ga member. I grew up down the road in Griffin.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
would bad fuel temp sensor also make a high idle speed from the extra fuel?
I don't believe it will. I also think what he is describing is low fuel pressure, not high. I hope he does the fuel pressure test.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
would bad coolant temp sensor also make a high idle speed from the extra fuel?
No. In order to burn the extra fuel it would also need more air, IACV is not compensating for the extra fuel by adding more air, so the engine floods and maybe even quits.
Try to run your fully warmed up lawnmower on full choke, it will stall or at the very least run rich enough that you will have a lack of power and black smoke out the exhaust and a rough run.
Now turn the choke off, engine speed picks back up, smoke stops, engine smooths out once all of the extra fuel is burned off.
Remember, air/fuel mixture, not just fuel or air.

A fuel pressure test is the free/easy place to start.
If that comes back good, then replace the coolant temp sensor, it's like $20 at AutoZone, mine was $16 but that was over a year ago.
10 min to swap out.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear

I wil check the fuel pressure first and go from there Thanks to all for the suggestions Savannah Buzz My oldest son will be a freshman there in the fall as well. I bought the Disco for my youngest and he loves it. I am not the most auto mechanical person there is and some of the terminolgy i don't understand so i may have to ask what most will think are stupid questions from time to time.
Thanks Again and i will update all to my progress

Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Rock Crawling

You have all the gurus here,,,I am not ncluding my self in the lofty honor.
I would first start by putting your sig with your car info.

I would check for codes,,,it being a 95 you dont have OBDII so I really dont know how to do it.

look for black carbon style smoke on exhaust tip
Pull plugs read them

Have you run any fuel injector cleaner through it yet.
Thats the first thing I do on a new FI car. I drop tank to 1/4 or less then throw in some TECHRON or what ever you like....I choose techron as an old VOLVO shop hand in HS we would always do this first before searching for fuel problems as dirty injectors will make for misreading problems and mask others.

The next thing I ALWAYS do is a tune up, oil change, filters , air, fuel. new rad fluid and flush, check condition of plug wires replace if you have a single issue (dont get hung up on plug wire type, this could land you waiting for weeks for THE set when most will do just fine. (no offense guys) the biggest issue is the right type, length etc.)
Replace spark plugs.

After all that is done you have narrowed the field of broken parts to just a few.

The fuel injection and ignition is very simple. A few sensors can go out here and there but most are good for a long time.
This being said the biggest issue I have seen on these cars when all the above is done is the O2 sensors. They can misread for a while before throwing codes.