Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Question for the LR Expert's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:11 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Question for the LR Expert's

I recently purchased a '95 Discovery to fix up for my 16yr old daughter. Engine and body wise it's in great shape, however after all the electrical addon's (ie: aftermarket alarm, speakers, amps) this has gotten me shaking my head and scratchin my $%T&. What I finally figured out today was that if you have a bad tail light assembly, and with key knowwhere close to the ignition, but just turn on marker lightd, and step on brake peddle. What I saw when this happens is the entire instrumnet cluster lights on ie: batt, srs,oil check engine, and I can hear the fuel pump charging as well, but if yoou takr said taillight housing out and disconected it none of the above happens. My question to you my friends is "What wire has been crossed somewhere along the way. If the motor is already running you have zero problems except I only gots one tail-light assy. I have checked fuses's 12,13,14 with no change. Sorry I am just trying to teach her the right was, instead of having all her friends knowingly thinking that they just have to jump in, turn on light, and now we fuel aswell

Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. I suffer from same disease - bought Rover for daughter's first vehicle.

2. Once you have added other electrical parts to the mix the question of non-standard wiring comes in. Can you disconnect power to new stuff and see if this still happens? Might be associated with trailer light connector at right rear, if that was used to power a sub amp in the rear....

3. Tail lights are prone to corrosion, some are able to clean them up with a wire brush.

4. I just tested my 97, it does not do this. I have stock alarm and aftermarket radio.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Rock Crawling

if you need good used set taillights let me know...

Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I would start by trying to totally remove any aftermarket alarm, and check all the ground contacts there is a list of them in the rave manual

Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 AM
4wd Low

Every last wire, relay removed from vehicle that originated at alarm systems and all wires spliced into were repaired, but still does it. The funny thing is the tailight housing is brand spanking new except for the piece I broke off trying to get it out of rover. Thought it just popped in/out. Is there a schematic in that Rave for this. Weird

Old 11-27-2011, 01:52 PM
4wd Low

One last note.. Swapped tail light housing to the otherpassenger side and plugged, and with lights on key out of ignition when placing foot on brake pedal all indicators come on as well as fuel pump gets energized. How and where do the indicator lights and fuel pump cross paths with tailights? I downloaded a zip for the RAVE, but evertime I try and unzip I automatically get about 30 diffrent windows that open at the bottom of screen. I should also point out I am not very computer savy

Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if I was you, I would say "F it" and just splice over tail lights from the other side. The wires are already down below the rover in the back on the right side. Just splice it over, and go up through the left side panel on the inside of the rover. Do you have turn signals? If your turn signals then this works. If not then I would then again say "f it" and start pulling every piece paneling out + carpet+ headliner+seats +MAYBE dash so I would have an empty disco to RE-WIRE.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM me if you want pics of wires I am talking about.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Download the appropriate one from the links provided here:
RAVE download
and burn it to a CD.
Once burned, go to the CD drive and click on the Green Oval "Rave" link.
There will be the '95 wiring diagram in the ETM section once you launch it.

It sounds like it might be a bad ground somewhere, but there are so many half-asses installers out there that there's no telling where the problem really is.

If it were me I'd probably pull all the fuses and add them back one at a time and not were problems start happening, then check that circuit. There's probably more than one that's messed up though.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say the multi function unit is suspect

Quick Reply: Question for the LR Expert's