Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Radiator Weight

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 06:34 PM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Radiator Weight

Quick question,,,,
How much does an empty stock radiator weigh?

Old 11-26-2023, 09:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Difficult one
The original factory radiators for a V8 are an all metal brass and **** off heavy at like 35lb
Replacement Nissens 64029 is ~20lbs dry
Avoid ebay rads, they are all 300tdi despite what they say. I bought all of them and went through all of them just to test.
Had an allisport as well and it leaked, but prior to leaking it was nice. I dont think it performed 1100gbp but hey if youre going to splurge, go wild.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:49 PM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Reason I ask is replaced one a couple weeks ago and the bastard was weighty. I half expected it to be not because it's an old school but PO used some form of stop leak.
Thought was that stop leak (gritty white/gray stuff) had settled at lower left when sitting in garage with flat front left tire. After draining coolant for a head gasket job, truck sat for a while.
Eventually got it back together and the dad-burn thing developed an overheating condition. Wouldn't overheat before h.g. (external) job. Even drove it a bit with leaking gasket without overheating.
Infrared thermometer showed that lower left of radiator was only about 115° f when Ultragauge showed 200° +.
Replaced it with a Nissen flavored one and all is well. Except for developing a trans cooling line leak.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:32 PM
TReK
Received 491 Likes on 426 Posts

Nissens seems to be good. I have one in my P38.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hrhoward
Reason I ask is replaced one a couple weeks ago and the bastard was weighty. I half expected it to be not because it's an old school but PO used some form of stop leak.
Thought was that stop leak (gritty white/gray stuff) had settled at lower left when sitting in garage with flat front left tire. After draining coolant for a head gasket job, truck sat for a while.
Eventually got it back together and the dad-burn thing developed an overheating condition. Wouldn't overheat before h.g. (external) job. Even drove it a bit with leaking gasket without overheating.
Infrared thermometer showed that lower left of radiator was only about 115° f when Ultragauge showed 200° +.
Replaced it with a Nissen flavored one and all is well. Except for developing a trans cooling line leak.
Factory ones also lack plastic side tanks so that would be the dead giveaway.
Glad you got it all wrapped up on your end.

Originally Posted by Harvlr
Nissens seems to be good. I have one in my P38.
Yeah, make sure you inspect them as they arrive. I had one show up with an overflow nipple broken off, of course retailer wanted it returned. Not to be stopped I tapped the nissens, threaded in a bung and then locked with jbweld. Holding fine 10k mi later.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 10:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 175 Likes on 156 Posts

My new plastic radiator has developed a small leak at the outlet flange. Looks like one of the metal threaded inserts is pulling out. If I get a new one, I will disassemble that lower flange, make sure the o-ring is good quality, and apply a good gasket maker silicon, then not over tighten the bolts since the o-ring is what seals, not bolt pressure.

At this point, I worry more about air getting pulled into the system vs fluid out (I run with the pressure cap loosened, and a FlowKooler pump). Next step is to try some gasket maker. If that fails, then epoxy. Then a new radiator after that, if I last that long....