Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

radio removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

to Jbriggs I am not sure how to answer your question as this has been my profession for many years I have a complete set of radio removal keys and tools for most vehicles and it includes the one for our trucks. I would agree that a small torx set should get it out for you or possibly a very small common screwdriver.

to Desert Roadrunner, my rave manual has the wiring schematics so I am not sure if you have a different manual than me but some of the guys on here have a download link for the right one. I will try to get the wire colors for you later today. One important thing to remember is the speaker wires will twist into pairs after they leave the amp, this will help you in determining the channels, then it is a matter of determining polarity and which channel is which. Do not be worried about the tweeters in the A post as they are wired to the door speakers like a set of coaxial speakers. The amp will have them wired as 1 speaker per side instead of 2, and your radio will work just fine wired this way.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Rover Chris;201292]to Jbriggs I am not sure how to answer your question as this has been my profession for many years I have a complete set of radio removal keys and tools for most vehicles and it includes the one for our trucks. I would agree that a small torx set should get it out for you or possibly a very small common screwdriver.

Yeah it takes that special tool with the small hooks on the end to get it out. Its not a torx bit. I might run it down to the local shop and see if they will unlatch it for me so I can swap it out myself. Thanks anyway!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a download in my sig that includes the electrical troubleshooting manual..

The attachment should get you what you need..

For removal, I just got a set of jeweler's screwdrivers and found the one that fit in the hole...

Attached Thumbnails radio removal-amp-d1.jpg  
Old 09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Camel Trophy

jbriggs - if yours does not have 1 hole on each side, it is not factory..

Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
There is a download in my sig that includes the electrical troubleshooting manual..

The attachment should get you what you need..

For removal, I just got a set of jeweler's screwdrivers and found the one that fit in the hole...
Thanks Jason you just saved me a good bit of work!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
jbriggs - if yours does not have 1 hole on each side, it is not factory..
It has one hole on each side so it is stack and I have tried everything to get it out. A mechanic friend looked at it and told me I need a special radio removal tool to get it out. I'll figure something out I just have radio and it only works in town because my antenna got broken off. Sucks.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Camel Trophy

Take a small jeweler's screwdriver and stick it in the hole. There is a little allen head that needs to be unscrewed. It unscrews and pull a tab on the side inward.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Mudding

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Camel Trophy

might have to try a few sizes to get one to fit right, but you will get it. I tried to look for my spare deck to get the right size allen, but my allens aren't marked, and I don't have a micrometer handy. Sorry..

Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm having the same trouble....I've loosened the wings on the sides using an allen key and I can feel that the head unit (stock pioneer DI) is 'loose' meaning it wiggles about. But there seems to be some other catch. I've slid a wide putty knife under the unit and can tell there is something more to unhook. Any ideas?

FWIW I'm going to attempt to create a iPod hookup by creating a junction box in between the CD changer and the head unit.

Quick Reply: radio removal