Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Radio, seats, & cigarette lighter not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Learn to sing good country songs to yourself and after a while you won't even miss the radio. Hell I make up my own songs as I drive, similar to Jimmy Buffet and Willie Nelson type ballards.

At the price of these beasts, you would expect a well laid out terminal board and wiring conduit like an aircraft or something, but it ain't so. Look at my photo albums, I think there are some good pics with my carpets removed. I really don't plan on reinstalling them either.

There are ground post under the carpet and center console area, where the seats and other grounds terminated to little threaded studs.
its about the same as most vehicles I have ever worked on, I actually remember hearing at one point from one of my old reps (he was a really smart guy with this stuff) that the wiring under the carpet is actually routed based on fuel lines and structural damage patterns during a crash! not sure how much stock I would put into it, but it definitely was an interesting conversation none the less

Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, or if it helps at all, but I do remember some bit in the owner's manual about the radio doing that beep behavior if any buttons are pushed with the key not in position I, or something like that. Kind of sounds like wherever the power thats gets routed to those accessories(seats, lighter, radio) when the key is turned isn't making it. Maybe that could help you track it down on the wiring diagrams. There's probably a common splice or ground, as was mentioned earlier.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you manage to fix it?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I didn't have time to look at it this past weekend. This weekend coming up may be hectic free so hopefully I can take a look then.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was able to look at the truck a little bit today. I tried to follow the wires from the rear of the radio back into the dash but could not figure out where they go. The top connector on the radio does not get any power at all. I can't figure out in the rave manual if any of the wires are supposed to get power.

I also checked the fuses. The fuses for the radio, cig lighter, do not get 12 volts at all.

I hate electrical problems and driving without a radio is really getting to me.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://carstereohelp.net/wireharness_LandRover2.htm

if you are not getting 12 volts at the under dash fuse then you may have either a connector unplugged or an under dash fuse blown/missing

Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fixed?

Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem? I am having the exact same issue.
Any new suggestions?
Thx

Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Check Main Fuses #3 under hood, it drives the lighter and several other fuses. It is a bolt in fuse. RAVE electrical manual is your friend.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Check Main Fuses #3 under hood, it drives the lighter and several other fuses. It is a bolt in fuse. RAVE electrical manual is your friend.
I check all the fuses under the steering wheel and in the main fuse box under the hood. They all look good.
Given the combination of things without power (radio, rear mirror, power seats, lighter) I'm trying to figure out where the relays are to check them.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I have been digging through RAVE and cant find seem to find where the power for these things might connect (radio, rear mirror, power seats, lighter). Any suggestions out there?
Thx

Quick Reply: Radio, seats, & cigarette lighter not working