Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

RADIO - Something Different...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RADIO - Something Different...?

I've done my due diligence and searched this forum and others for a solution to my problem, with no luck. I also Raved it up, with no luck. (that thing has been brilliant in solving other issues)

per my signature, I have a '95 D1, My radio is not working and no power is getting to the harness in the back. I checked, re-checked and triple checked ALL fuses.
I have pulled my radio out many times, fiddling with various things, but most recently i pulled the radio to install a 3-gauge pod for aux gauges (EGT, water temp and voltage) on top of my dash. Looks and works great. When I went to re-install radio.. nothing.. dead.. no power getting to it. I did notice that the security feature was beeping at me when i pulled/un-plugged it. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, as i have done it before...
I have let it sit with the key on (in both positions) for hours, thinking it was "re set" the alarm, if that is even the problem...

EVERYTHING else works on the truck. cig lighter, etc.

Thoughts? Hidden secret relay?

I have a four hour drive this weekend and sure would like my NPR and gangsta' rap!

Last edited by Boultman; 06-13-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Boultman
... and no power is getting to the harness in the back. I checked, re-checked and triple checked ALL fuses. ...
Did you confirm no power at the harness with a multi-meter? On connector C230 (the one closest to the bottom of the unit) it looks like pin 7 (light Green+orange) is power.

Are your grounds good?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Drifting

i will confirm power at that point when i get home. With a meter, I tested the top harness. It has 6 leads (8 holes) and there is NO POWER to the red lead, yellow lead, or the remote leads that trigger the radio on. The black wire, ground, IS grounding correctly when i test for continuity with the chassis/other grounds.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM
TReK

Top connector is for audio output to amp.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Understood.

I will check the leads this evening. If i have power at harness, maybe the radio is fried and i have an excuse to upgrade to an aftermarket unit. It's always hard to find plain-looking head units without a bunch of stupid flashy lights. I never use the integrated buttons on the gauge-surround near the steering wheel anyway. They are harder to access than the ones on the radio itself!!!

I'll update with my findings.

Thanks again.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Drifting

I checked the pins in the harness today. There is, in fact, 12v going to the harness (no. 7). So I guess the radio is dead. If it has power to that lead, along with good ground, it should at least be beeping or asking for the code. It does nothing.
Is this a safe assumption?
Should i try to get another used radio on fleabay (with code) or just put in an aftermarket head unit? I assume since the radio use misc. odd amplifiers that i will have to run new speaker wire from the head until to the speakers? I recently installed new OEM sized Pioneer speakers, and an aftermarket head until will allow me to use a couple of inputs and probably sound a lot better than OEM.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 AM
TReK

Yeah, my old head unit fried itself spontaneously as well. Should you get a used one? That depends on what you want?

Like you, I'm not fond of the new 'flashy' head units. So I replaced with a used unit from Paul Grant. I also upgraded my subs, added a 250w amp to them, and built an external input box in the cubby. My truck rocks, looks very close to stock, and was cheap.

ipod/RCA input here....
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...tion-d1-52617/

Subs/amp here...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-wiring-43689/

Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Drifting

I will most likely go aftermarket. i even found a pretty simple looking Kenwood unit to go in my '87 911. Looks sharp. Mostly black and doesn't a bunch of stupid chrome and flashy lights.
Am i correct, that the D2 radio (or any newer LR Radio) WILL NOT work with my D1?