Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear Shock Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Shock Mount

Just some quick questions,

I took my discovery in to get all four shocks replaced as well as front rotors and wheel bearings. Everything went well, but the driver side rear shock mount was found to be cross threaded. As a result, the bolt on it is ruined. The part is a "rear shock mount" to replace and it is unavailable without turning to the dealer on Monday. The shop is open tomorrow, so I would like to get the part if possible. This is in Columbia, SC.

My thought was to go to the local pullapart to grab it off the 1996 in their yard. Given that I am not mechanically inclined, I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on what tools would be necessary to do this and anything to check. I originally thought this would be three bolts and removing the top mount of the shock. Is there anything else necessary? Also, should I hold out and pay the $90 list price from the local Land Rover dealer or would grabbing it off a wreck work well enough?

The wheels are lifted off the ground at the pullapart and jacks are not permitted. It is even going to be possible to get the shock off?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Drifting

This is the part:
Shock Mount Bracket - Rear - Upper for Defender 110, Steering & Suspension Parts

Originally Posted by SenatorPerry

I took my discovery in to get all four shocks replaced as well as front rotors and wheel bearings. Everything went well, but the driver side rear shock mount was found to be cross threaded. As a result, the bolt on it is ruined. The part is a "rear shock mount" to replace and it is unavailable without turning to the dealer on Monday. The shop is open tomorrow, so I would like to get the part if possible. This is in Columbia, SC.

My thought was to go to the local pullapart to grab it off the 1996 in their yard. Given that I am not mechanically inclined, I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on what tools would be necessary to do this and anything to check. I originally thought this would be three bolts and removing the top mount of the shock. Is there anything else necessary? Also, should I hold out and pay the $90 list price from the local Land Rover dealer or would grabbing it off a wreck work well enough?

The wheels are lifted off the ground at the pullapart and jacks are not permitted. It is even going to be possible to get the shock off?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SenatorPerry

3 9/16's bolts hold it to the frame
1 19MM bolt holds the shock onto the mount

I would grab it off the other truck if it's not rusted to ****. I have a couple extras I would sell you but obviously you would have to wait for it to ship which is not ideal..

good luck

Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You should have no problem since trucks are off the ground already. Pull A Part in Augusta has two Discos and two Rangies on their yard. Columbia lists 1, usually don't see this part go quickly. Take your tool kit, and a breaker bar (long handle socket wrench or pipe cheater bar). Most Discos in the salvage yard are there with blown engine. But if you are there, and the alternator is still on the truck, might consider that also.

Grab floor mat or trunk blanket out of another vehicle at the yard to lay on. Take some safety glasses, working below will dump dried mud on you. And a can of PB Blaster.

OEM used is a whole lot less. Not like it is a wear and tear part. And you may find other things you can't live without. I have kicked myself more not getting a new radiator in a D1 (had a cactus emblem on it) I looked over.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Curious, why did you not do the rear wheel bearings, they also need service or replacement as do the fronts, also did they do a full 2 quart DOT 4 brake flush when they were done with the brakes, should be done.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get the mounting bracket this morning. My DNA is all over #314 at Pullapart in Columbia. :-)

I did the rear around 1000 miles back. My Discovery is killing me with $1000 cuts, so I do what I can afford when I can.

The 96 Discovery at pullapart has the third row seats still in it as well as the rear and front driveshafts. It is approaching its 90 day deadline for crushing. Alternator was already gone. The radiator is still there, so I assume it must be leaking.

Thanks again for the help.

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Curious, why did you not do the rear wheel bearings, they also need service or replacement as do the fronts, also did they do a full 2 quart DOT 4 brake flush when they were done with the brakes, should be done.