Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear shock mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shock mounts

I lifted my truck over the weekend, broke an upper rear shock mount in the process. I did manage to salvage it enough to be usable, but I want to replace it asap.

In looking online, I'm seeing aftermarket mounts that mount the top eyelet higher or lower than stock. What are the pros and cons to changing the top mount position? Is this something I should do?

I installed 2" RTE springs, +50mm Terrafirma shocks. I would like to get as much travel out of the suspension as possible.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

If you put lowered shock mounts, and you've got longer shocks, you might bottom out the shocks when you stuff the tire into the wheel well. You might need longer bump stops. When I put the rear axle in my d90 this weekend, I pulled the springs and the shocks and sat the rear on the bump stops to see about how much room I've got for shocks.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeti
I lifted my truck over the weekend, broke an upper rear shock mount in the process. I did manage to salvage it enough to be usable, but I want to replace it asap.

In looking online, I'm seeing aftermarket mounts that mount the top eyelet higher or lower than stock. What are the pros and cons to changing the top mount position? Is this something I should do?

I installed 2" RTE springs, +50mm Terrafirma shocks. I would like to get as much travel out of the suspension as possible.
Hit up Paul Grant or somebody for a good used upper mount. I too sheared off the end of the bolt when I installed my first set of shocks. Fortunately there was enough stud to work with and its been fine for 3 years now.

Lowered upper mounts let you run stock(or just slightly longer) length shocks with a lift.
Raised upper mounts let you run longer shocks with a lift. A longer shock will have a longer compressed length. This could be problematic with certain lifts with the shock mounted in the stock location. By raising the mount you effectively lengthen the upstoke.

I would say you should get a stock mount and use that(if you even need to replace it). Run your setup for a while and figure out where you want to tweak it.

FWIW I run 11.25" travel Rancho shocks and use the stock upper mounts on my 3" RTE lift. Check my avatar to see my articulation. Once you go above 2" or really wanting articulation, you need to pull out the tape measure and start pencil whipping the numbers.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Once you go above 2" or really wanting articulation, you need to pull out the tape measure and start pencil whipping the numbers.
Yeah, I only measured it because it was free to do at the time

Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback. I will look for a used mount.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Yeti, so you have brake and suspension issues, what have you done wrong to **** off the Rover Gods?
Paul number is in my signature section if you need it.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Yeti, so you have brake and suspension issues, what have you done wrong to **** off the Rover Gods?
Mike, I tried to make my truck happy, fixing stuff that leaked and lifting it so the tires did not rub. My truck must not have been happy about it