Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

removing oil pan.. blue gasket sealant...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default removing oil pan.. blue gasket sealant...

Ok, Still feel like crap, but not going to feel better just sitting around, so removing the oil pan.

You can tell the PO has done a LOT of work on this truck... HG are defiantly new, I don't think the engines even really been ran since the install. other than to find out about this low oil pressure issue...

Anyways, he had said he had dropped the pan in the past multiple times... but he resealed it using the blue gasket maker stuff... basically glueing the pan to the engine. Great for no leaks... pain in the *** to get the pan off again. Any tricks? I don't want to risk damaging the aluminum of the engine or bending the pan...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use a gasket scrapper and make sure the edge is on the pan and then you should get it to the point where you can EXTREMELY GENTLY pry on the pan. Once you break the initial seal it will pull off fairly easy..

Use right stuff gasket maker when you put it back on.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Winching

got it off.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Oil pan leaks suck....

What will you use to reseal it?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
Oil pan leaks suck....

What will you use to reseal it?
Right Stuff gasket maker unless he wants it to leak then he will use a rover oil pan gasket

Make sure your torque it in sequence believe if or not it does make a diference.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Winching

I have a feeling It will be coming off again. I'll most likely just use blue rtv again for now until I get this low pressure issue worked out.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Use right stuff gasket maker when you put it back on.

that stuff is the ****, for sure!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Winching

Why don't you take off the front cover while you have the pan off and put a new oil pump in it, then see if that solves your issue. While your doing oil pump, put new timing chain: kill 2 birds with one wrench! Note that to take the front cover on, the 2 bolt holes in the front screw into the front cover so if you decide to take the front cover off in the future, you must drop the oil pan, again...

Old 04-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
Why don't you take off the front cover while you have the pan off and put a new oil pump in it, then see if that solves your issue. While your doing oil pump, put new timing chain: kill 2 birds with one wrench! Note that to take the front cover on, the 2 bolt holes in the front screw into the front cover so if you decide to take the front cover off in the future, you must drop the oil pan, again...
I'm leaning toward it being the oil pump now. I got it all back together and still ticking. Oil light coming on when it drops to idle.

This is why I used blue RTV... easy on easy off lol. At least until I get all this worked out.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ngarover
I'm leaning toward it being the oil pump now. I got it all back together and still ticking. Oil light coming on when it drops to idle.

This is why I used blue RTV... easy on easy off lol. At least until I get all this worked out.
I had that problem too, rev it up, and oil light goes off.... I would recommend replacing the oil pump. Its some what of a PIA because of the radiator. I removed my radiator when I did my front cover. Also the RAVE says you have to remove the alternator, a/c compressor, water pump, power steering pump, but I didn't remove any of them. Just the radiator and fan clutch.
Oil pump:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-instal-43603/

Quick Reply: removing oil pan.. blue gasket sealant...