Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Repair Cargo Door Pivot Pin/Stud For Door Stay/Check Rod

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repair Cargo Door Pivot Pin/Stud For Door Stay/Check Rod

The stud or pin that sticks up vertically out of the floor of the right side of the rear cargo door jamb is trashed on my D1. This is the anchor/pivot for the the galvanized door stay/check rod for the cargo door. Years of use, rust, and damage have left a pin that is no longer round, no longer vertical, and has no circlip groove left at the top to secure the door stay.

At first blush, I thought the stud was more or less permanent and welded in place to the body, but a call to the friendly folks at Rover's North produced a part number and a photo for a replacement pin. The pin in the photo has the grooved top edge for the circlip like I need, but also an identical groove at the bottom of the pin. A smooth barrel otherwise between the grooves. My pin appears fixed in place, and just looking at the photo I'm at a loss as to how the bottom of this part would attach under the jamb and stay fixed in place. I'm guess that if this pin is correct, there might be some other parts I need that the bottom attaches to, or perhaps this pin is simply welded in place from the bottom?

I'm out of town at the moment, so can't crawl around underneath and try to figure it out for myself, so I figured I'd tap the brain trust here and see if anyone has replaced this pin, or undertaken this repair. Thanks.

Last edited by jigray3; 09-23-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody, huh?

Funny thing is when I Google it, there are several times over the past several years where someone has asked about this very thing, and another person or two in the thread has chimed in that they have the same issue and are also looking for information, but nobody yet has replied with any real help.

I was sorta hoping this time might be different.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you can pave the way im in the same boat but i have not had issues with it popping loose

Old 10-01-2014, 07:32 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't have a DI here to take a look at but my bet would be that you're going to need to remove the bumper to get access to the body crossmember that the pin is installed through.