Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair Rear Cargo Door Pivot Pin/Stud For Door Stay/Check Rod

Old 09-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repair Rear Cargo Door Pivot Pin/Stud For Door Stay/Check Rod

The stud or pin that sticks up vertically out of the floor of the right side of the rear cargo door jamb is trashed on my D1. This is the anchor/pivot for the the galvanized door stay/check rod for the cargo door. These items create the linkage that prevent your cargo door from swinging wide unchecked into your right tail lamp assembly. Years of use, rust, and damage have left a pin that is no longer round, no longer vertical, and has no circlip groove left at the top to secure the door stay.

At first blush, I thought the stud was more or less permanent and welded in place to the body, but a call to the friendly folks at Rover's North produced a part number and a photo for a replacement pin. The pin in the photo has the grooved top edge for the circlip like I need, but also an identical groove at the bottom of the pin. A smooth barrel otherwise between the grooves. My pin appears fixed in place, and just looking at the photo I'm at a loss as to how the bottom of this part would attach under the jamb and stay fixed in place. I'm guess that if this pin is correct, there might be some other parts I need that the bottom attaches to, or perhaps this pin is simply welded in place from the bottom?

I'm out of town at the moment, so can't crawl around underneath and try to figure it out for myself, so I figured I'd tap the brain trust here and see if anyone has replaced this pin, or undertaken this repair. Thanks.

I posted this on the D1 side, but same parts/same issue apply to D2 as well.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Striking out. Well I guess I'll find out the hard way. Regardless, I'll post what I find out here. Over the years several folks ahve asked like I have, but no one has offered up any information.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:29 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Its a hit or miss here, recently many of the top contributors to this forum have retired and thus less answers to more questions. Seems like the kingdom is without a King to lead on. Sorry I dont have the answer for you though I will say that the pin on my truck is also damaged. Rusted to **** and chipped. I to could benefit from a valid answer here.

Soon I will be replacing my rear bumper with a RTE HD bumper so I expect to examine the underneath of the plastic bumper cover, I bet that will yield some clues as to how the check pin is secured to the bumper. That said I think Ill have RTE add a custom pin to the new bumper to eliminate the issue all together. So Check out the Rave manual and consider that you may have to remove the rear bumper cover in order to access the button portion of the pin.

Last edited by TRIARII; 09-26-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you figure it out?

I thought my rear door didn't have a retaining stay system until I read this. I looked underneath and there it is. Not connected to a rusty pin that has no circlip groove.

I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment but if there is relatively easy way to replace that pin, I'll look into it.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine just went and I noted the "rod" is like an Allan key and clips into the attached green clip. I believe it is broken but I have no frame of reference. Anyway, it appears it was manufactured to fail. Surely someone has come up with a better concept to replace this POS part? Thanks

Old 07-30-2019, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Check if post #6 at ----> https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...n-thing-73146/

works for you...