Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

replace "city" lights with LED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You might be able to use LED city lights with HID headlights (illegal but common). The heat output should be lower.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
You might be able to use LED city lights with HID headlights (illegal but common). The heat output should be lower.
Then he really wont pass inspection.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
How will they know it is supposed to have them?
Oh believe me around here they will find it. If you so much as have one tag light thats more dim than the other they will fail you. Northern VA is insane when it comes to inspection for some odd reason. When I've seen them do a physical inspection, they pull up a lighting diagram and proceed to check every location listed on that particular vehicle. The fact that my lenses are brand new and very clear doesnt help my case either, the city lights stick out like a sore thumb. I could care less about them but the law states if they are there then they have to work.

We used to have a few of those stations that could be convinced to pass questionable vehicles if you know what I mean. A few years ago I got my S-10 through state inspection with a full 2x3 tube frame and air suspension on all four corners. Those places went bye bye thanks to some undercover sting thing the county had going on, amazing what kind of dumb stuff they waste tax dollars on. The end result has made the places that are still licensed to do inspections paranoid so getting anything lighting related by them wont fly.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
The city lights are the small "194" style bulbs mounted in the headlight assemblies below the headlight bulb. They are designed to come on when the headlight switch is turned to position 1 for the running lights. I believe they are designed to be used when in dense urban areas, where homes are tightly packed, so your headlights don't shine into your next door neighbor's living room window.
Thanks. I better check them when I do my bulbs soon.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
Oh believe me around here they will find it. If you so much as have one tag light thats more dim than the other they will fail you. Northern VA is insane when it comes to inspection for some odd reason. When I've seen them do a physical inspection, they pull up a lighting diagram and proceed to check every location listed on that particular vehicle. The fact that my lenses are brand new and very clear doesnt help my case either, the city lights stick out like a sore thumb. I could care less about them but the law states if they are there then they have to work.

We used to have a few of those stations that could be convinced to pass questionable vehicles if you know what I mean. A few years ago I got my S-10 through state inspection with a full 2x3 tube frame and air suspension on all four corners. Those places went bye bye thanks to some undercover sting thing the county had going on, amazing what kind of dumb stuff they waste tax dollars on. The end result has made the places that are still licensed to do inspections paranoid so getting anything lighting related by them wont fly.
Man, yet another reason I'm glad I live in a state without inspections.
You should see some of the crap driving down the road, plexi glass for a back window, 4 mis matched tires 3 of them with the cords showing, burnt out tail lights, aftermarket HID headlight kits that blind you...I saw a Buick last year on the side of the road with it solid rear axle missing, it was laying on the shoulder a few yards back, it had fallen off probably from to must rust.
But man I am SOOOO glad we dont have inspections.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Man, yet another reason I'm glad I live in a state without inspections.
You should see some of the crap driving down the road, plexi glass for a back window, 4 mis matched tires 3 of them with the cords showing, burnt out tail lights, aftermarket HID headlight kits that blind you...I saw a Buick last year on the side of the road with it solid rear axle missing, it was laying on the shoulder a few yards back, it had fallen off probably from to must rust.
But man I am SOOOO glad we dont have inspections.
I am SOOOO glad we DO have inspections, for all of your reasons save the plexi back glass. If I am driving my vehicle down the highway, family on-board, I don't want the vehicle next to me to have a blowout, or the vehicle ahead of me lose an axle, not do I want to rear-end a vehicle at 70MPH at night because they had no rear lights and only one very dim headlight....

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Naw...it's not that bad.
I wish we had emissions testing but I am glad we dont have safety inspections.
Thats alittle to much communism for me.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm happy we have inspection simply because I've seen some of the crap allowed to roam the roads in places where you're free to do as you please. It's kind of a double edged sword, you cant win either way. It seems as though they are far to particular on passenger vehicles here but they turn a blind eye to all of the semis and dumptrucks that are knocking on deaths door. Call me crazy but my missing city lights arent nearly as dangerous as a 10 ton missile on bald tires going 75mph around the beltway.

Emissions testing is another story, around here it seems more of a money generator than anything else. If it fails you can still cough up $750 and get your plates for another year, kind of stupid if you ask me. If it passes great, if it fails it's not fit to drive, unless of course you want to give the state $750 then it's good to go.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Team Owner

All commercial vehicles are subject to Federal inspections once a year. That is a Fed law, no way around it.
Farmers are exempt as long as they only do intrastate travel and no interstate travel. Cross state lines and all bets are off.
Here if your car is unsafe you will get pulled over and get a "fix it" ticket. You have 10 days to fix it or you will be fined.
If the car is just plain old dangerous it will be impounded unless you have it towed to a shop.
There is a lot of crap on the road but the roads are more dangerous with the huge potholes than they are with junk cars.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

While we only have emissions inspections in the metro Atlanta area, our rural local counties have siezed on bulbs as a source of income in these tight times. $85 for a burned out bulb, any location on vehicle or trailer being conveyed. A lot of the parts stores have notes about it posted by the cash register.

Quick Reply: replace "city" lights with LED?