Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Request for Pic of Bonnet Release Cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 04:36 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Request for Pic of Bonnet Release Cable

Hey guys! Just picked up a really beautiful 1999 D1 about a week ago and am starting to sort through some of the minor issues. First on the list is the broken bonnet cable that the previous (or previous-previous) owner jerry rigged. Pics below of the situation.

Basically it seems like the black pull handle snapped off so they somehow fixed the inner cable to the metal 'nipple' piece, so that if you yank on the end of it, it still releases the latch. However, you have to really yank on it for that to work and I'm concerned it'll snap if I do that too many more times. Second thing is that it's dangling in a way it clearly didn't when it came out of the factory - I'm wondering whether it's supposed to be threaded through the hole in the black faceplate (circled in red in the second pic).

Already ordered a new cable, but want to make sure I install it properly, and I can't for the life of me find a picture of this anywhere online - wondering if someone here wouldn't mind shooting me a quick pic of how it looks on theirs?

Many thanks!

Old 12-08-2023, 06:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There should be a wee little fork back there that the collar end with the nut locks into. Yours looks to be way closer to drivers seat than they should be. On mine there is no hole in the plastic or anything, it looks like you are missing the bracket. The discovery bonnet release bracket looks similar to this defender one shown @ 8:40
but is a bit different.

I would replace the whole bonnet latch release cable at this point, first time will take you an hour then about 15 minutes after that. Make sure your torque the crap out of the retainer on the far end, you dont want it to slip (ask me how I know)

I can snap a photo for you tomorrow if this isnt clear enough

Old 12-11-2023, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by czerta
There should be a wee little fork back there that the collar end with the nut locks into. Yours looks to be way closer to drivers seat than they should be. On mine there is no hole in the plastic or anything, it looks like you are missing the bracket. The discovery bonnet release bracket looks similar to this defender one shown @ 8:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=D-2c61-wN-g but is a bit different.

I would replace the whole bonnet latch release cable at this point, first time will take you an hour then about 15 minutes after that. Make sure your torque the crap out of the retainer on the far end, you dont want it to slip (ask me how I know)

I can snap a photo for you tomorrow if this isnt clear enough
thanks for that! Yea, it definitely looks like I’m missing that mounting bracket. Can’t find one online, so looks like I’ll be hitting the salvage yard whenever I can make it down to Colorado Springs.

question for you: on mine, it looks like after the cable passes into the engine bay, it follows along the inner edge on the drivers side and works it’s way around to the latch mechanism. I just got my new (aftermarket) cable in the mail and it doesn’t look like it’s long enough to reach that way. Does it normally just feed straight across the engine bay like in the video you linked?

Old 12-11-2023, 09:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MichaelW
thanks for that! Yea, it definitely looks like I’m missing that mounting bracket. Can’t find one online, so looks like I’ll be hitting the salvage yard whenever I can make it down to Colorado Springs.

question for you: on mine, it looks like after the cable passes into the engine bay, it follows along the inner edge on the drivers side and works it’s way around to the latch mechanism. I just got my new (aftermarket) cable in the mail and it doesn’t look like it’s long enough to reach that way. Does it normally just feed straight across the engine bay like in the video you linked?
Ill get a photo tomorrow for you
Cable should snake all the way around, what is the part number you ordered?

Old 12-11-2023, 09:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by czerta
Ill get a photo tomorrow for you
Cable should snake all the way around, what is the part number you ordered?
Thanks - it’s part number: MXC6324, here’s a link to the item on eBay LINK . It’s not OEM but the $40+ OEM ones I’m seeing don’t look any longer. Maybe I’m just overestimating how long the engine bay is.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:58 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

Don't buy a Britpart banded cable. OEM is 'worth it'.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...metimes-87099/

Old 12-12-2023, 11:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MichaelW
Thanks - it’s part number: MXC6324, here’s a link to the item on eBay LINK . It’s not OEM but the $40+ OEM ones I’m seeing don’t look any longer. Maybe I’m just overestimating how long the engine bay is.
Thats the correct cable. It should reach just fine. Ive had good luck with the britpart cables installed, only failures are from me not tightening the cable end enough.

Photo as requested, excuse the dirt and lazy install on the cable nut you should for sure seat it all the way down in the bracket but I cant be bothered:

Old 12-12-2023, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Thanks, guys! The photos are helpful - I'll have to see about snagging one of their brackets off a parts car. At the very least, based on the photo it looks like I could possibly fabricate one myself.

Regarding the part itself, I have an appointment this friday to deal with an emissions issue and the rover shop I'm taking it to has a LR branded cable in stock for just a little more than I paid for the Britpart one, so I'll probably just snag that one and return the latter so I can sleep better. Appreciate the heads up on others having issues with the aftermarket ones.